Furuno RDP139

A

Anonymous

I have a boat that use to have a radar model 1731 Mark-3 , a color sounder FCV-582L
and GPS GP-1610c.
I just purchased a Furuno RDP139 display unit, can I use the existing transducer cable, Gps cable and radar cable on that new display unit RDP139?
Thankyou
Larry

1731mk3 radar and/or radar cable- No, the radar is not compatible with the RDP139.
FCV582L transducer - Yes, but need to purchase network sounder such as DFF1.
GP1610C GPS cable - No, but may be able to re-use GPS antenna with a GP32 or GP33 and interface to RDP139.

The equivalent radar dome for the RDP139 would be RSB0071-057 with 000-138-970 radar cable. If you just want a GPS antenna to plug directly to the back of the RDP139, then I'd suggest a BBWGPS.

What port does the radar plug into? I have the RDP139 and adding the RSB0071-57 dome. This is basically a mount, plug in, and calibrate type of job correct?

Naples-
There is only one place to plug the radar cable into which is that big round plug on the back.
While it is a fairly simple set up the RDP139 must be configured as a proper radar using your RSB0071-57, which is a 4kW dome.
What you are creating is what we used to sell as an 18833C or 1833C/NT.
Here is a link to the installation manual:
http://www.furunousa.com/ProductDocumen ... -20-05.pdf

Ok awesome, now I'm getting somewhere. What is the difference between the "C" and "C/NT"?
I know the port you are talking about. I now have even seeing something about a heading sensor in order to have the radar overlay with the plotter? I love my Furuno unit and want to add the radar, but $7k from the local guy to just add a dome to this older system is a little nutz!! So I'm trying to do it myself, I'm not dumb when it comes to this, just need a little guidance. My unit shows my course already, so would I need this? My set up is a RDP139 with BBWGPS, thru hull transducer (not sure the watts), and external video with a drop down camera. Looking to add the RSB0071-57 dome along with the proper cable. How am I looking??

The C stands for Color. Early in the NN1 series some displays were mono-chrome (not color) and the model of those units would not have a C. The RDP139 is color, hence your is a C model. The additional NT shows that it is programmed for CMAP. If the unit doesn't have NT , it is Navionics.

To conduct radar overlay, you must have heading data input on the same unit where your radar cable connects. You can always run a split screen (radar/plotter) if you don't have heading.

Ok so I know to feed an auto pilot with my RDP139 VX1, I need to "talk" to the auto pilot from port #2. If I want to connect the course compass from the pilot to have radar overlay, which port do I connect to?

Also I have the 6 pin cables coming for this, based in this below, what color wires from the 6pin furuno cable do I connect to the appropriate???

The auto pilot cable says the following;

To NMEA Listener.....
Yellow Tx+,A
Green Tx-,B

From NMEA Talker... White Rx+, A
Brown RX-, B
This is the port 2 connection?

If I want to connect the course compass from the pilot to have radar overlay, which port do I connect to?

On the RDP139, heading must be input only into data 3. (the dedicated heading input port)

If bring NMEA heading from the autopilot output into data 3; it will wire to the WHITE (+) and BLACK (-) of the Furuno 6 pin NMEA (heading) cable.

so to bring an old thread back to life..... I set up the 4kw dome with the RDP139...... went through the set up, changed the radar type to "B", but the picture seems to be off about 180 degrees...? Yes the radar is mounted right, i thought i remember reading something some where that the 1833c set up had some glitch that made it 180 degrees off?? Also I do not seem to pic up any targets once zoomed out more then 2nm...... help..??

Some early NN1 domes required you to conduct the heading alignment even if the radar antenna type setting was correct. This is easy enough following the install manual. The issue with long range targets sounds like you have a magnetron or something else going bad. I recommend you contact your local dealer or send the dome in for evaluation.

ok... I'm back again.... i had the RDP139 VX1 with the 4k dome.... i just got the RDP149 VX2..... everything should be plug and play, question is, what antenna type do i select? my guess would be type F, and that i am creating a 1933c?? it is the 4k dome, RSB 0057

These 2 units (RDP-139 to RDP 149) should just be plug and play correct? Antenna type will be B..... but other then that, should swap over for the most part?? maybe have to change IP address last 3 numbers (old radar on this unit was open array)

Mostly plug and play, but it will require programing as per the installation manual.
You should not have to change IP addresses though.

ok perfect.... i have the book and can do the set up..... I'm going to dive into it now, may have another question by the end of the night for you in the morning..... thank you for the help..... you guys are top notch with customer service/ problem solving.

Melville":zwb0pzez said:
Naples-
There is only one place to plug the radar cable into which is that big round plug on the back.
While it is a fairly simple set up the RDP139 must be configured as a proper radar using your RSB0071-57, which is a 4kW dome.
What you are creating is what we used to sell as an 18833C or 1833C/NT.
Here is a link to the installation manual:
http://www.furunousa.com/ProductDocumen ... -20-05.pdf

Any chance this link could be updated? I need to find an install and operations manual for a an rdp-139 or from this thread now an 1833C system. I am upgrading from what I think is a 1941 radar system with an old CRT display.

Lanier Dan":3io7bf43 said:
Any chance this link could be updated? I need to find an install and operations manual for a an rdp-139 or from this thread now an 1833C system. I am upgrading from what I think is a 1941 radar system with an old CRT display.

Thanks for posting, you can always find a copy of our IM/OM Manuals via our Furuno USA website. Go to "Get Support" and type in the model of the unit you're looking for and it should pull up the technical resources significant to that device.

For the NavNet 18x3C 19x3C GD1900C BB,
Product Page: https://furunousa.com/en/support/1833C--NT
Installation Manual: https://furunousa.com/-/media/sites/fur ... manual.pdf

Hope this helps, :sail

- Maggy

Back