furuno CA 50/200 1T

ginodan

Finally pulled the trigger and purchased the above transducer and i need some help on a couple of things please , firstly the wiring to the mb1100 seems straight forward i'am just not sure about the shield wire do i pull it back roll it up put on a crimp and attach to terminal 1 ?? and secondly if i go with a tank mount how can i dummy set it up before deciding where to install it so i get the primo spot on the boat , would i be better transom mounting it ? i can get it fitted to a fibrelite mould and tm260 mounting bracket so its in the water or will it shoot through the fibreglass hull ok.
Regards Gino

Ginodan,
The transducer shield wire should be connected to the #1 position on the 1-5 terminal strip.
Since you haven't mounted the transducer yet you can do a nice comparison test. First, just hang the 1T over the side to see how many returns you see. Stop the sounders picture advance so the image is stationary. Now place the 1T in a bag of water. Restart the screen advance and hold the transducer over different locations on the hull. Hold the stem of the transducer so that the bag of water is contacting the hull but the face of the transducer is still parallel with the sea surface. During this test you want to see both 50 and 200Khz as the thickness of the hull will affect each frequency differently. Below is a screen shot of the test I did using a 88Khz transducer.

Snips

Attachments

• CA88B-10.jpg
    CA88B-10.jpg
    403.3 KB · Views: 1,627
Ginodan,
For the record, I try to stay away of using in-hull transducers. I haven't seen one yet that has equal performance to a transducer that is wet faced. That is why I recommended doing the comparison test to see for yourself how much the signal loss there is.

Snips

So if i find a resonable spot on the hull can i cut the hull to the profile of the transducer and flush mount it to the bottom and built a tank around it or should i transom mount it in a purpose built mould.

Ginodan,
If you are handy you can use a B-260 fairing like in the picture below.

Snips

Attachments

• 1T.JPG
    1T.JPG
    550.4 KB · Views: 1,594
Back