Furuno autopilot options?

A

Anonymous

I have twin NN1 rd 139s with sounder, gps and 6kw open array. I want to replace my Ray ST5000+ autopilot with a modern one that eliminates the rudder feedback. I need something that will hold an accurate heading while running 100+ nm offshore. My present AP will not do so unless it is calm.

What Furuno AP would you recommend? Can I re-use my type I pump? Thanks.

The Furuno NavPilot 700 series is an excellent self learning/adaptive pilot supporting both NMEA 0183 and NMEA 2000. It functions well for many platforms including sailboats and has been very well received. The unit does offer Fantum Feedback (no RRU) for outboard boats but other boat configurations should use an RRU. (included for non-OB versions) The pilot will typically have no problem driving a Raymarine or other existing hydraulic pump/Linear Actuator.

Which sentences should I turn ON for nn1 nmea 0813 out on data 2 to my Actisense which converts to nmea 2000 for an AP?

I would suggest APB, RMB, RMC, VTG, XTE, ZDA

BUT if you are running the NAVPilot 500 or 700 series you don't need a converter.

Thank you for the feedback. I needed to go w a ray pilot as the dash cutout was the same and not enough room for the others. The price was also a factor as much as I would have liked all Furuno.

I connected the vx1 white A+ nmea 0813 out and black B- out to black and red inputs on Actisense input wires. The pilot still doesn't receive nav data. The Actisense shows + LEDs. I turned on data 2 port sentences as recommended. I didn't think I needed to connect other data 2 wires since the others are input. Correct? Thanks again for your time and expertise!

You only need the two wires to drive a pilot. It could be that the pilot doesn't like the taker ID or NMEA version of your converter. I would have to refer you to raymarine to trouble shoot that.

Johnny Electron":2z7310u1 said:

BUT if you are running the NAVPilot 500 or 700 series you don't need a converter.

Is RMB the sentence that includes typical AP data? Is so, which ones?

Johnny Electron":1b4l617r said:

I spoke with ray tech support and learned that the pilot needs newer version of NMEA 0183 that has an "A" on the end of the sentences. My Actisense converter does not do that.

I believe that my nn vx1s use nmea0183 v2.0. When I send in for cmap conversion, can Furuno update to a newer version of NMEA 0183?

Keep in mind it is your converter talking to the Ray, NOT the Furuno.
The highest NMEA provided by the Vx2 is 2.0 and it will be understood fine by the converter.

In case this helps other Furuno users in the future, I contacted Actisense and Raymarine tech support. I conveyed the information that the Ray equipment needed but was not receiving in the sentences being provided. Actisense wrote new firmware and emailed it to me. I uploaded the software to the Actisense device and my Furuno vx1 and Ray pilot are working together!

Thank you to Furuno staff for always helping and participating in this great Forum! :furuno

Now if I can only find a FP card reader.... :angry

Back