FM4800 no weather channel?

lstitcher

Have a new FM4800, and the option to switch to weather channels is not in my menu tree. Spoke with support and confirmed I was looking in the correct place. Any idea on what could cause this?

You followed the instructions below and in the menu between SCAN and FOG/HAILER/IC you do not see WEATHER MODE?
If you are in International or Canada mode you might try to switch to USA and see if that corrects it.

1676583470686.png

If you are in International channel group the weather mode will be disabled. International is the default settings. Pictured below is an easy way to tell how you are set.
MAIN MENU - CH FUNCTION SETUP - CH GROUP > Change this to USA

If that is not available, you may need a software update. V2.02 is the current version. There was an improvement made to the selection process.
MAIN MENU - GENERAL SETUP - SYSTEM INFO - SOFTWARE VERSION

1676641282657.png

I have a similar issue. With my OLD VHF radio (a Standard, circa 2007) I could toggle between channel 16 and the weather channel (channel 2) with the 16/+ button.

In USA mode on my new Furuno VHF radio, I can't even see a number listed for a weather channel unless I drill down in the menu and turn on "Weather mode."

This does allow me to hear a weather channel, but I'm unable to program the weather channel as a secondary channel to toggle back and forth between 16.

Any suggestions on how to do this?

Turn the big knob on the right (FM4800) to select a WX channel. Press the 16/+ key and it should sw to channel 16, then press 16/+ again, does it go back to the WX channel. The book states it goes back to the working channel, however since WX is a NOAA receive only I don't think it is classified as a working channel. Some of the older radio CH/WX button to switch between weather and working.

What software is in the radio? It sounds like you have one with older software and not matching up with the manual that covers the current version.

If brand new it should be current unless a reseller was sitting on some old stock. There is no way for a user to upgrade it. It would go to the service center for a free update. Did you check what software version that is in it?

Back