FI-50 Rudder Indicator spinning in circles - but only intermittently

MeltemiCaz

Hello All,

I have an issue with the rudder indicator occasionally starts spinning in circles when I first power up the system. This only happens once in a while. But this boat is new to me and I do know how to start debugging the issue.

Here is a YouTube video showing the issue:

FI-50 Rudder indicator spinning in circles

I would appreciate any help from this community.

Thanks!

If you have a volt/ohmmeter, you can test the rudder position indicator by measuring the resistance as the rudder is moved. It will be necessary to disconnect the four wires from the rudder position indicator, which should be green, yellow, black and white. Center the rudder first. Then hook up the VOM to the white and black wires and measure the resistance. Do the same with the yellow and green pair. The values should be very close. Next with the VOM still connected to the yellow/green pair, turn the rudder with the wheel and verify the change in resistance. Then move it back to center and do the same with the white/black wires. The resistance should change smoothly as the wheel is turned and it should be similar on both pairs. If not, it would suggest there is a problem in the RRU. It is also possible you have a poor wire connection.

The RRU is a very simple and reliable device so it is not all that likely that it would develop a fault although it can happen (it did to me, which is why I know about testing).

Do you have another way to display rudder position besides the FI-50 such as an autopilot or chartplotter? Does it behave the same way?

If you have a volt/ohmmeter, you can test the rudder position indicator by measuring the resistance as the rudder is moved. It will be necessary to disconnect the four wires from the rudder position indicator, which should be green, yellow, black and white. Center the rudder first. Then hook up the VOM to the white and black wires and measure the resistance. Do the same with the yellow and green pair. The values should be very close. Next with the VOM still connected to the yellow/green pair, turn the rudder with the wheel and verify the change in resistance. Then move it back to center and do the same with the white/black wires. The resistance should change smoothly as the wheel is turned and it should be similar on both pairs. If not, it would suggest there is a problem in the RRU. It is also possible you have a poor wire connection.

The RRU is a very simple and reliable device so it is not all that likely that it would develop a fault although it can happen (it did to me, which is why I know about testing).

Do you have another way to display rudder position besides the FI-50 such as an autopilot or chartplotter? Does it behave the same way?
Thanks for the advice. I will measure the resistance as you describe. I will also check the 711 autopilot display as well if it happens again.

Back