FCV587 NMEA Connection

A

Anonymous

I'm having trouble interpreting the NMEA connections. I need to connect to a Northstar 6000i display. The FCV587 manual identifies:
1 TD-A WHT
2 TD-B BLU
3 RD-A YEL
4 RD-B GRN

The Northstar unit identifies:
NMEA port 1 input A brown
NMEA port 1 input B blue
NMEA port 1 input ground white with blue stripe
NMEA port 1 output A violet
NMEA port 1 output B gray
NMEA port 1 output ground blue with white stripe
NMEA port 2 input A white with brown stripe
NMEA port 2 input B brown with white stripe
NMEA port 2 input ground white
NMEA port 2 output A yellow
NMEA port 2 output B orange
NMEA port 2 output ground black
RS-232 ground tan
RS-232 RX green
RS-232 TX red
External ground/foil drain white with orange shield

What connections do I need to make. Thank you and have a good day.

Rich

To provide GPS to your FCV587:
Northstar (Violet) to FCV587 (YEL)
Northstar (Blue with White stripe) to FCV587 (GRN)

To allow waypoint to be transmitted from FCV587 to GPS when MARK key pressed (***if Northstar accepts TLL as input sentence)
FCV587 (WHT) to Northstar (Brown)
FCV587 (BLU) to Northstar (White with Blue stripe)

Reaper. I just found out that it is desired to have the FCV587 NMEA output connected to the JRC1500 Radar, not a Northstar unit at all. The JRC input NMEA is labeled "Input yellow +" and "Input Green common". Sorry for the mistake. What are the appropriate connections? Thank you.

Rich

You stated that the JRC1500 is a radar and therefore would not be the appropriate place to send a waypoint to. If the JRC1500 is also a plotter, then the connection is ok. The JRC connection to send waypoint from FCV587 when the MARK key is pressed (if JRC accepts TLL NMEA sentence) is as follows:
FCV587 (WHT) to JRC (Yellow)
FCV587 (BLU) to JRC (Green)

**If you are connecting the Northstar to the FCV587 to provide GPS, then please note the changes to my previous response. I had to edit it due to an error.**

If you are not connecting the Northstar at all, then what is your source of GPS to the FCV587?

Thanks again. I'm not sure what the customer has. I think I will connect to the NORTHSTAR as yo have indicated if there isn't another source for GPS. Have a good day.

Rich

Back