Fcv295 won't mark bottom

A

Anonymous

image.jpgFcv295 quit reading bottom?
I have an FCV295 connected to an Airmar cm599LH pocket mounted. I was out in deep water testing this setup for the first time. Initially it started reading the bottom great. I was in 2000 feet. I was in manual depth range where the only allowable setting is 3000 feet so I decided to try Auto Range. As soon as I put it in Auto it started searching for the bottom cycling in increments of 2000 feet all the way to 10,000 feet. It never found bottom and when I put it back to manual it still will not find or mark bottom at any depth. I tried resetting it to factory defaults and played with every setting there is. Nothing. It looks like it's seeing the transducer in the upper menu bar and I can still select frequencies. I'm stumped?
Please Help!

Finmanfish,
If you defaulted the settings I would double check to make sure that the TX power is set to 10 and the TX Rate to 20. When you got to shallower water what did it look like?

Snips

Tight orange bar scrolling by at the top just under the menu bar as if you were in "0" feet of water.

Finmanfish,
That orange line is not the bottom but the 30 second timing bar. Please post another picture at the dock.

Snips

My boat on a trailer at home the answer to your question would then be it's just a black screen I have the background color set to black

Finmanfish,
If you have weak returns on both frequencies with the gain set to zero at the dock. I would take the unit into the dealer to have it tested.

Snips

Hi Finmanfish,

I have the exact set up as you have and can sound fish in 600m on high frequency. On low frequency it is phenomenal at 800 + the picture is similar to what you would get in 20 or 30 meters on a 600 w fishfinder/transducer set up.

Keep at it you have an awesome set up just get the settings worked out and any faults that may be there and you will be laughing!

Cheers,

Blackie

Tx power was on auto and tx rate on max. Would that make that big of difference? All works fine in demo mode. In set up screen where you have transducer settings above demonstration mode it shows both high and low connected and shows the frequencies.

Finmanfish,
Unfortunately the only way to tell is to get the boat back in the water. While the demo mode is useful tool it's not going to help us here. One of the things I like to do is to get both the 295/1150 out of the Auto Power & Tx Rate. I prefer Power at 10 and TX Rate at 20. Lets say you get the boat back in the water and at the dock you are in 10ft of water. Set the range to 60ft and turn both gains to 10. If the 295 is working properly you should be able to fill the LF and HF sides brown with saturated targets. If you can't I would take the 295 to a dealer to have it checked.

Snips

Took it to E&R marine electronics in Irvington and they hooked it up so see if it transmitting. it's not so they are sending it to Furuno. Hopefully it's not a major problem or perhaps Furuno will cover it ....... We'll see.

Finmanfish,
The sounder carries a two year warranty. We will get it turned around for you as quickly as possible.

Snips

Thanks Snips, I don't recall exactly but it may be a bit older than that.

Snips, I read in another post here that the 295 screen scrolling speed slowed down to a crawl in deep water. My reason for bringing this up is that mine did the same thing. In the post I am referring to the issue was not really resolved so I am looking for clarification on this. Is that normal? Also I noticed you always recommend tx pwr at 10 and tx rate at 20. Factory setting is max and auto respectively which are only one click above your recommendation. How much difference would there be between them?

Finmanfish,
The SOS (Speed of Sound) through water is around 1500m per second. Yes it can vary depending on the water temperature but in the menu our sounders are set up for 1500mps. This means in deeper water it takes longer for a sounder to receive an echo back than in shallower water. So it is normal for a sounders screen advance to move more slowly using deeper ranges. Some think that using a smaller range and shifting the displayed range will speed things up but it doesn't. Yes I like to set the TX power at 10 and the TX Rate at 20. It seems that the target presentation is a little better with those settings than the Auto Power and Rate.

Snips

I checked with my dealer and found out they haven't even shipped the unit out yet. Been sitting for 2 weeks. :jump Very frustrating. What are some probable reasons an fc295 would stop transmitting? What are typical repair costs. The dealer said he thought it was the board and that's $1200 or so. Are there any other possibilities?

Finmanfish,
Do you mean that the dealer has not sent the sounder in for evaluation yet? The 295/1150 have been a pretty reliable sounder for us but it hard to speculate what is going on without seeing it. So my best advise is to get it to us ASAP so we can evaluate it for you.

Snips

Yes it sat on the floor in their shop for two weeks. I was very upset about it.

I'm told it is. It's coming from E R Marine electronics in Irvington Alabama near Mobile.

Back