FCV 588 Transducer selection.

dalegoble

I know this subject has been beat up pretty good. But would like some expert advice.
Going to buy a FCV588 for my small boat.
The boat has a 20 deg. dead-rise.
I fish in waters from 50' to 200' only, bottom structure.
I do not care about Bottom Discrimination.

I can not put a flaring block on bottom.
Can not use a In-hull , no room for such big boxes, and not sure of material.
I can use a thru hull or a transom mount. (had a tm260 with another unit)
worked ok, very little noise and worked at all speeds.
Want the best performance i can get.
Have read of some issues with the B164 and interference with the locking nut.
I think my choices are B164 or TM260..
Which will perform the best or are there other choices.
Any help would be great before I buy.

Snips....
Also I look for hard bottom and tails and have read many post from you on this subject.
You say that the 12M or 1T do a much better job at this and I take your word at that.
Can I mount either of these on a 20 deg. dead-rise or on the transom with success ?

Dalegoble,
By itself, the TM-260 is a better transducer than a B-164. That being said the TM-260 is a transom mounted transducer and is more susceptible to turbulence. For Bottom Discrimination I feel that both the CA50/200-12M or 1T are going to performance better than the TM-260. I have seen 12M's mounted on the transom before but I don't recommend doing that because the top of the transducer wasn't designed to be underwater for long periods of time. The 1T is a better choice for transom mounting, but you will need to make a mounting bracket for it.

Snips

Does the 1T face have to contact water or can it shoot through metal such as aluminum or ss.
Just trying to figure out how the best, strongest way to do this without hurting performance.
I guess you could cut out the metal for the face to look through.
Thanks for your Help Snips.

Snips.. Let me ask a stupid question. How are the 1T transducer normally mounting. Have looked for examples and have never found one. Could you build a wet box like a in-hull ? Might could find room.
Or do they make a Flaring block for either to be able to mount on a 20 deg. Deadrise.

Mr. Snips.....
Many times you have recommended the CA50/200-12M on this forum.
I found a fairing block on Ebay for 15.00...
Iam going to take your advice and put the CA50/200-12M in a fairing block.
I can make it work. Will find a way to make it work.
Alot of people would say its to much for a small boat.
The Transducer is the heart of the dept finder. Crappy ducer, crapy signal.
Thanks for your help..

Back