FCV-295

A

Anonymous

Hello, I am planning to buy the FCV-295 for deep drop up to 3000f and for tuna fishing.
1/ do i use the airmar R399 or 599? does it work in dual frequency?
2/ what will be the plus to have the DFF1-UHD? and with which transducer? will it be CHRIP then?
thank you!

Adrenaline,
Both the R-399 and 599 are dual frequency transducers and will work with the FCV-295. To clarify, when you mention 599, do you mean the R-599LH which is a Chirp transducer?

Snips

Snips,

Yes I mean the R599 LH. I am thinking also about the R111c-LH.
Both are chirp. Will it be a plus for the performance of the fcv295 who is not chirp enabled?
Thank you.

Adrenalinetuna,
The R-399 is an inhull transducer where as the R-599LH is wet faced. In this case the 599 would have the advantage. But if you compare the R-309 against the R-509LH I would go with the R-309. I tend to favor wet faced transducer installations over inhull boxes.

Snips

thank you snips.
i will go in hull option, what is the best transducer for the fcv-295 in your opinion?

Hello Snips,

As per your advise, i bought the FCV295 and the airmar R399.
Do you have tips about the best setup, and about instalation guide for best performance for deep reading?

Adrenalinetuna,
I would set the screen advance at 1/1, TX Power to 10 and TX Rate to 20. Out of the box the TVG controls are set up for 100 fathoms. If you are fishing shallower than that I would decrease the TVG Distance value.

Snips

thank you snips.
2 questions:
1/ i can't find propylene gycol over here, do you have an idea which liquid is ok to use for the in hull 399 transducer instead?
2/ what will be the difference between the 150 and 200KHz when fishing for deep drop?

thank you

Adrenalinetuna,
If you need to do something in a hurry you can use plain water, but I would keep looking around for some Propylene Glycol. Between 150 or 200Khz, I would choose the 150Khz because it will have less attenuation shooting thru the hull.

Snips

Snips,

I was advised by my boat dealer to use oil (Johnson baby oil which is mineral oil) what do you think about it?

my boat dealer suggested to use baby Johnson oil, what do you think about it?

Adrenalinetuna,
Acoustically almost any oil will work. But since Furuno doesn't make these in-hull transducers we go by the way of the manufactures recommendations, which is Airmar. If your boat dealer has a track record of using baby oil with no ill effects that may be an option. Personally I don't know anyone that has done that.

Snips

adrenalinetuna":v62dln6q said:
Hello Snips,

As per your advise, i bought the FCV295 and the airmar R399.
Do you have tips about the best setup, and about instalation guide for best performance for deep reading?

Hello adrenalinetuna,

Can you tell me your experience with the sounder and the transducer? Have the same FCV295 and want to buy an in-hull transducer for deep sea. Are you using on 2 kW or 3 kW? Which frequency have you found to be the best and for which depths?

Back