FAX-30 antenna

Eric Rosvold

My fax-30 uses the fax-5 preamp antenna. The quality of the screen weather pictures is very poor. Is there a method to test that antenna to see if it the issue? The unit installed new on the boat in 2009.

Have you checked that it is setup for the Fax5 coupler? Jumper J23 needs to be set to “active” (isn't by default) when using the coupler. Sometimes it will work poorly for a long time before someone checks that. Also on the coupler, there is a little green wire that comes out and mounts to a lug on the side of the coupler. That wire MUST also be joined with a good ground. If it is, you might want to ensure that lug and both wire connections are clean of corrosion because it is a very important part of grounding the internal AMP of the coupler.

Checked the jumper. It is correct. Went to mast top antenna, cleaned ground, scraped paint to make sure it was going to ground on a steel vessel. Turned on the vessels SSB and tuned to the fax channels noted in the Fax menu. While some are a little noisy, on in particular was quite clear. This was 12412.5 out of Kodiak. Even when I selected that as listen channel in setup, it would not receive the signal, in auto mode it only pulls down 4298.0. The screen that contains station, standby, SS and SN blinks rhythmical once a second. On a previous vessel I had the paper Furuno fax and it received signals fine. This unit just hasn’t. Wasn’t an issue until the Coast Guard repeater stations began failing last winter. Perhaps a Furuno contact for the issue? I am a Furuno dealer for the area.

Hello Eric maybe you should be better with a long wire antenna to the FAX-30 that would permit you at the same time to use it as the GMDSS emergency signal antenna for your HF radio ? :huh

Back