DRS4D PROBLEM

Thanks for that advice! The guy who did the radar arch didn't want to take a chance on the radar not fitting in the shed so he made it with the hinges which are pretty sturdy since they are on some pretty thick 1/2" bolts and not pins (we couldn't find pins that thick). Anyway the boat fits in the shed with the radar erect so I have never had occasion to lean it down. The only reason i asked was so I wouldn't have to keep climbing up and down the ladder to see inside, but it is OK since I need the exercise. Next question is would it be better to run the tests outside the shed or does it matter?

You want to run the radar outside because of radar reflections. When you run the wizard "Radar Optimization" you really should be away from the dock and any built up areas. Running the optimization near built up areas can "De-tune" your radar.

Hi Johnny
I went out to the boat shed several days in a row to see if I could resolve the problems with the radar and the Charts. :huh
Without going into too much detail - First the charts- Unlock code charts were bought in January 2013 for vector and raster of Central America. I don't think they have revised these charts twice in less than a year :noway and it seems the charts I had before were better but I will just go ahead and buy the updates- we are talking one raster update and two vector updates which will cost about the same as new charts anyway. I am not happy about this because I had these charts saved on SD cards since January and my unlock codes would not open them so I had to download old versions of the charts so the codes would work. This just ain't right but it is ONLY $450 so what can you do? :sorry BTW When you do a Master Reset not only does it erase the unlock codes but just re- installing the unlock codes again will not get you anything. You will have to delete and install which ever charts did not ship with the MFD12 from an SD card again and then key in your unlock codes before you can see your charts on the MFD12, this includes all the 3d and sat photo charts that are in the chart pack you bought so it is quite time consuming. :( At least that has been my experience each of the 5 times I have done this recently.

Next the Radar- I can not find a web page that has any more recent 2.07 incremental update than the one that has version 14.* update for the drs4d on it. :sorry When you drill down on the UPLOADER file under radome all the files are dated 11/22/2010 - 8.51 am. this is the page I am getting this update from -

http://www.furunousa.com/products/produ ... n+Displays

If there is an update I can download to get back the version 16.* please let me know. :jump
Incidentally the radar tuning error problem existed before I updated to version 2.11 and has persisted throughout all checks and updates etc. so it is unrelated to updating MFD12 versions. The updating issue occurred because I mistakenly (through ignorance plus a dash of stupidity) downgraded from dsr4d version 16.* to 14.* while doing an incremental 2.07 update in an effort to get the latest drs4d software. :oops:

Yesterday and today I did all the steps to check the radar tuning error from the beginning to make sure I did them correctly. Everything was done outside the shed at least 100 yards from any buildings and 100 feet from any trees. No metal objects withing several hundred yards of the boat.
1- The scanner turns properly - checked
2- the reed switch works - checked
3- Master reset - done. this wipes out unlock codes and while the charts still show on the chart catalog they are usless and the unlock codes will not activate them without deleting them and reinstalling from SD cards again. This is an actual fact on my system! :(
4- Once the unit is back in action, conduct a factory reset of the radar. (Menu - System - Memory tab - radar section/select radar - SET FACTORY DEFAULT) - done
5- Did radar optimization inside the installation wizard and it works great. Also when you first start it up after that, the radar sees good at long range for a few rotations of the scanner but then it gets the tuning error back. MBS ADJ in the installation wizard is 25%
6- Checked dual screen mode- long rage screen gets tuning error. Short range screen works great if under 1 nm. Switched screens back and forth, adjusted the ranges up and down on both screens. The radar works if under 1 nm. Any higher range than 3 nm produces the tuning error.
:think Two observations-
1- At any range setting the portion of the radar screen that covers 1 NM shows objects and scanning activity, outside 1 nm the screen it is blank. When the radar is first activated at longer ranges it works and shows objects clearly on the screen at the longer ranges for 2 to 3 rotations but then it gets the tuning error. Tuning voltage jumps around in Service Man at the longer rages and is steady at about 6.5 volts at the 1 NM range. The tuning error beeps when the voltage jumps over about 7 .5 volts in Service Man and stays silent if under 7 volts.

2- I can hear a change in the scanner sound when the range is increased to where it gets the tuning error. Is this because it is changing the rotation speed of the scanner? Could there be a mechanical adjustment to the drive belt or gears inside the DRS radome? Can I do anything there? A guy at the marina said a 'set screw' came loose on the drive belt on a radar he had and caused the same type of problem years ago on an older and different model Furuno radar and all he had to do was tighten it up and it worked fine after that!

Johnny anything you can come up with would be better than either shipping the radar back and forth to the USA or having to buy a new one. I am willing to take any reasonable chances to fix this. :roll:
Also if you do manage to help me fix this I am seriously considering giiving you a mention in my new Book - "Furuno DRS4D for Dummies" which will soon be published using much of the knowledge gleaned from this thread! :jump And if you are ever in Panama I WILL take you fishing on one of my boats that has everything working!! :capt

So other readers are not confused, chart updates can be purchased for half of list. The two areas you have would require an upgrade cost of $150 each to bring you up to the current version. (Price is the same regardless of how many versions have come out since your last purchase) I agree that I don't think two updates have come out since Jan 2013. You can't go by the date on the Map Media e-mail, because that date is changed based on the last no-cost update and/or license transfer. I would be glad to look into your concerns about the version of chart for when you purchased, if you PM me a purchase receipt or at least provide the US dealer you purchased from so we can locate your original invoice.

The incremental software from our web site should have v1.16 software for the DRS. I will check into that. I will PM you a direct link to incremental software with 1.16 so you can re-update the DRS4D.

Since your tuning issue seems to relate to the same time the scanner is changing speeds; you might try setting your scanner to the fixed speed of 24RPM. It is really odd because the scanner should slow down at longer ranges and speed up at shorter ranges. You can set the radar to only 24RPM in the service man settings, and see if that provides any change to your symptoms.

I was out there again today checking and rechecking everything. :jump There is nothing loose or out of place inside, it looks solid, runs great and it is dry as a bone. It just will not work at the longer ranges. :angry I did try the 24RPM speed and stop mode and everything works fine until any range over about 2 miles. I am going to load the 1.16 version and try it out on the water for a weekender with the kids hopefully this month or next and then if it doesn't cure itself :cool: I will pack it up and find someone going to the USA to take it up there for me and mail it to Furuno. Where do I mail it and since it was bought online what kind of receipt and information do I need to provide with the drs4d when I ship it? I bought it from Jim at BOE MARINE (great marine online store and service) on Order Date: 3rd May 2013 and I have notified him that I will be shipping it to Furuno for repair.
I have been around boats and sportfishing for over 40 years :capt and generally if I had bought a new product and it failed soon after I would never buy that brand again. However the customer service extremes you have shown are truly remarkable and have sold me on Furuno products! Thanks again and I will let you know how it turns out. :furuno :respect :respect

Went to the boat again today to install the v1.16 software for the DRS. :cool The update went fine but then the MFD12 could not find the radar :shock It would find it on the installation wizard and it tan great on the wizard optimizer but when everything came online the radar screen would say radar not found. AAHHGG deep despair :think :think Ran the Master reset and reinstalled version 2.11 and then it would see the radar and for a moment that hope which springs eternal in the human breast was stirred! :jump
Oh, somewhere in this favored land the sun is shining bright;
The band is playing somewhere, and somewhere hearts are light,
And somewhere men are laughing, and somewhere children shout;
But there is no joy around here the 'tuning error is Back :angry

If at any time after software upgrades or life in general that you find that the radar is missing (X'd out) when the system comes up; don't panic. Many times it is just not selected properly. If it sees it during the wizard, it sees the radar. The first thing to do when the radar (or sounder) is X'd out is go in the menu and see if there is an Icon for it. For example if the radar is X'd out; hit MENU and see if you have a RADAR ICON. If you have a RADAR ICON, the system sees radar. You just go under the GENERAL tab of the radar and select the radar under RADAR SOURCE. This process will normally un-X the radar and have it “ready to go”. There is no need to enter the wizard, change software, or pass go.

It looks like your DRS has a problem with the SPU, IF-AMP or MIC. It will unfortunately need to see the service center. Good news is the service center is very good at what they do. The unit has a two year warrantee so you could use it at 2nm and less until you can’t time to find it a “Ride” home. I must say you didn’t give up easily. If it was going to be fixed, you should have done it.

Send the unit to the Furuno Repair Facility with a detailed description of the problem. No RMA number is required. Please make sure to include your contact information.

Furuno USA, Inc
Attn: Service Department
4400 NW Pacific Rim Blvd.
Camas, WA 98607-9408

Repair time can vary depending on work load and season. Mostly 10 business days plus postal time this time of year. If you need to contact our service center they can be reached at 360-834-9300. (ask for the service center)
They can tell by the unit serial number that it is under warrantee but if you want to include a copy of your reciept, that works too.

Hi Johnny
Ok and the HITS just keep on coming! :jump Just came from COPA/AMERICAN AIRLINES office trying to ship the DRS4d to Furuno in Camas, WA . The authoritative lady at the shipping counter would not accept the package unless I could give her an official RMA number. :roll: She states that without that number it will have to pay duty going back into the USA. I did show and offer to give her an invoice and receipt for the DRS4D bought in the USA but she staunchly refused to ship it without a RMS number. This headstrong woman made it seem as though it was an international security issue! :shock In any case I was hoping you could use your influence and procure a magic number for me so I could then give it to COPA/AMERICAN AIRLINES and they could then charge me an ungodly, obscene amount to ship it to Furuno and get it repaired! :respect :respect

Back in my military days, you could just write "Return of US Merchandise" on the customs label and they would be good with it. I will talk to the service center to see if we can get an RMA assigned, just for the purpose of your repair. Normally RMAs are only for dealers/ for items going back to stock. I will PM you any results.

Thanks Johnny that RMA number and official form satisfied the bureaucratic inertia at the airline cargo shipping counter! DRS4D is on its way and only cost $190 to send!

Hi Johnny
Finally got my DRS4D back from the states and out of Panama Customs clutches and reinstalled it yesterday. :jump It works great outside the boat shed, no problems. I will be taking it out this weekend for 4 days and will let you know how it goes. :capt BTW the DRS4D got held up in U.S. customs due to the airline-cargo shipping error and a really great guy- Jon Sasaki - at Furuno USA got it out before it was returned to Panama without ever getting repaired. Furuno has been great! :furuno Thanks again for all your Help!! :respect :respect

Ok the DRS4D works really good! :jump It picks up islands and local rain squalls out to about 20- 25 miles and 40-50 foot shrimp boats at about 12 miles. :cool: I can even see flying birds frenzied in tight groups above feeding fish out about 8 miles so this thing works pretty good. :furuno

Back