DRS4d-NXT Starlink

Hotspur

I would like to mount a Starlink antenna next to my radar. Starlink needs to be mounted above the radar for a clear view and not be irradiated. I would mount on a 24” Seaview antenna strut made of aluminum. Will the strut create a blind spot for the radar? The strut will mount about 2ft away and has a cross section of about 6”.

The distance of the obstruction from the antenna, the cross section of the obstruction, and the radiator length are all factors. 6" diameter is not that much at 2' with a beam angle of 3.9 degrees. If there is any shadowing, it won't be much. Just ensure the Seaview mast is on the aft side of the RADAR antenna, this will ensure if there is any shadowing it is to the aft side.

The distance of the obstruction from the antenna, the cross section of the obstruction, and the radiator length are all factors. 6" diameter is not that much at 2' with a beam angle of 3.9 degrees. If there is any shadowing, it won't be much. Just ensure the Seaview mast is on the aft side of the RADAR antenna, this will ensure if there is any shadowing it is to the aft side.
Thank you for that, but I want to double check. If the beam width is 3.9deg at 2 ft the width in inches would be 1.68”, if my trig is correct (always suspect). If that is true then there would be a considerable blind spot for 6.” So what I don’t understand is, if the antenna arm is 24” how does that correlate to a 3.9deg beam? Sorry but I am ignorant of radar technology. Just don’t want to drill a bunch of holes for Starlink when radar is more important.

The horizontal beam angle (focused RF energy) that the RADAR is transmitting 3.9 when pointed any given direction. If it wasn't rotating 360 degrees you would only see echoes in that 3.9 degree beam angle. RADARs mounted on a mast almost always have a shadow area to the rear.
One of the most important considerations is getting the Starlink antenna away from any high-sensitivity receivers.
Per some recent guidance......
"Beware of StarLink on boats. People forget that they transmit just as a SAT COM. The StarLink instructions have the same placement restrictions as a SAT COM (at least 14 feet from anything that receives/transmits) and it should be out of the radar beam. Dealers and customers are blowing out GPS units and SAT compasses left and right because they don’t consider their placement."

Last edited:
Back