Disabling internal GPS on FA150

Wdeertz

I have a FA150 AIS transducer which appears to be effected by the date rollover discussed at https://www.furuno.co.jp/en/news/notice/notice_category.html?itemid=753&dispmid=965. I am sending my GPS data to the FA150 com port via my SCX20 through a nmea183 multiplexer. I have the com port priority set such that the gps data from the SCX20 is the highest priority. When I go into my “own dynamic data” screen it shows the correct coordinates, SOG, COG, HDG, ROT but the date keeps,flashing between the correct date/time (presumably coming from the SCX20) and a Sept 2003 date (presumably from the internal gps).

is there any way to disable the internal GPS? Is there any ill effect of the internal gps having the wrong date when the SCX20 com port has a higher priority. As far as I can tell the unit is working fine in its current configuration.

Is there any way to disable the internal GPS? Is there any ill effect of the internal gps having the wrong date when the SCX20 com port has a higher priority. As far as I can tell the unit is working fine in its current configuration.
The FA150 is a commercial product so I would suggest contacting Furuno USA Support and request for "Deep Sea." There isn't a way to circumvent the internal GPS of an IMO certified Class A AIS, it's there for an important reason. The ill effects of a wrong date is that it won't work or transmit. Setting the SCX20 port as a higher priority won't alleviate the root issue. My suggestion is to take it to a Furuno dealer or send it in to Furuno USA's service repair center for a software update.

- Maggy

Maggy, thanks, well that kind of sucks. I’m offshore for another 2 months so will need to return for a software update when I return to the US. I’m not sure about your comment on the unit not working. I’ve confirmed with buddy boats that I am transmitting my details at least 10nm. So obviously the gps data from the SCX20 is taking precedence over the internal gps.

when the software update is performed can I just send the large box with all the internals or do I need to also send the headunit (part with screen)?

... I’ve confirmed with buddy boats that I am transmitting my details at least 10nm.

when the software update is performed can I just send the large box with all the internals or do I need to also send the headunit (part with screen)?
For the software update you want both updated together so send the big box and head unit.

- Maggy

Last edited by a moderator: