DFF3D VS B275HW OR not?

DeepSouthTX

Furuno Fan
I am doing some research for a boat purchase. Fishing the Gulf of Mexico. 40 to 50 miles to the continental shelf. Flat sand/mud/clay bottom with small rock formations and wrecks. Both rock formations and wrecks can be anywhere from 5 to 25 feet in height off of the bottom and in depths from 50ft out to 400ft after than drops off quickly. When running out I am always looking for unknown structure and fish. Alot of area. In the past I had a Garmin GT51M (sidescan) thru hull in a little express. At a 20knt cruise I could identify larger rocks and wrecks. And also rock or hard bottom would be somewhat identifiable given the strength of the return. Didn't mark fish for Sh** but thats known given the frequency. At a 7 to 8 knot troll it gave a clear picture of the bottom out to a little over 300ft. Also at the time (5 or 6 years ago) the Garmin system was unable to actually mark structure from the sidescan screen. you could put the crosshairs on the structure out to port side for instance but the mark always just marked right under the boat like hitting MOB. After many calls and emails they reluctantly told me that feature was not enabled because NAVICO (cant remember exactly but believe thats what they told me) had a patent on it and their was litigation or something along those lines. I read the other day that this is not longer the case. If someone here could confirm that would be nice, read it in a forum, nothing official. All that being said here is the question. A chirp HW transducer seems a little redundant to me if you had a DFF3D. Or is there some advantages to something like a 275HW or 175HW? For the type of prospecting I referenced above what would experienced users suggest? I would think the combo of a DFF3D along with something like a 265LH would be the ticket. But that depends. Is the DFF3D able to mark moderate size schools of fish and or rocks and wrecks at a 20knot cruise? Or even at an 8knt troll? I read the other thread but these users were looking for small 1ft ledges I believe. And I get that wider cones are not good at illuminating these small bottom reliefs. This is a different scenario. Any experience or suggestions would be appreciated. Thank you

Can you PM me your name, email and, phone number. I would like to pass you over to your Furuno USA area Rep.

Did you ever get the answer to this?

I am planning on putting in a pocket mount 275lhw with the dff3d combo. What am I losing by not having the 175h and is the hw redundant with the 3D transducer?

Yes, the boat I purchased came with a 275HW and I added the DFF3D. The 275LHW is a great transducer and the low band is what you would be missing. And its excellent. On the high side its great as well but personally I would rather have a tight cone like the 265LHW or 175H has just for extra fish separation when fish are holding tight. But to be honest the 275LHW is excellent on the high side as well. Why not the 265HW instead of the 175? Same H but get the Low with it.

Here are some pics I have posted with the 275LHW and DFF3D

https://photos.app.goo.gl/W25QKaCfhmt8P6yG7

Thank you. Perhaps I misspoke, I am installing the b275lhw combo dff 3D pocket mount. I was questioning whether or not I should do the 275lh dff 3D instead of the lhw.

On my last boat I had the 3kw transducer 599 lh. Decided to just use 1kw this go around as I didn’t really utilise the depth benefit. Barely saw swords and that’s mainly what we would use it for where I fish.

So I went with the lhw instead of the lh as I like the wider cone. The reefs we fish for yellowtail are 60-200 feet. So i think between the 3d transducer and the hw should be sufficient to see all I need. Plus when we troll for wahoo and tuna fish the hw will be great for the wide cone and the 3D will get me a view of more what’s 180 degrees around the boat.

Does this make sense ?

Thats a fairly new pocket mount combo. Had to look on the website a couple of years ago they only had a couple of pocketmount options and the 275LHW is a newer offering. I am running the same as I stated just not a combo. Only issue is the interference between the two as they overlap frequency. Make sure you have the interference setting on high. Or a higher custom range on the 275s chirping frequencies. Tight lines.

Sounds good. The boat hull is being laid now and they have placed the insert for the pocket mount combo transducer. Will give an update once the system is all set up. Excited to use this new to me tech.

Back