DFF3D New Install Issue or normal?

DeepSouthTX

Furuno Fan
Good Evening. I just got 3ff3d installed. The transducer is the thru-hull b54 with fairing block. See pictures. At slow speeds it does fine but once I begin to hit around 12 knts it marking crazy spikes and the depth is all over the place. See link to youtube video of the screen. The boat is a 40ft single screw diesel with a top speed of 20knts. This video was taken inshore in the intercoastal. I am running with the default settings out of the box. Transducer is mounted a little aft of midship about 2ft or so off of the center line. Pics attached. Any thoughts or feedback would be appreciated.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qy0cJdoXXeE

412861d5-29b5-48ba-9e54-3bf1676ae9d9.jpg

914cf6ad-3d38-4fb2-b199-29a922a47acb.jpg

f6438f13-b408-4dad-9474-c515ed2406f4.jpg

DeepSouthTX,
Thanks for the pictures and video. Your transducer mounting looks OK to me. Multibeam (DFF3D and WASSP) sounders are very susceptible to external noise. This noise also appears differently than on a convential sounder. In your video you are using a split display, triple beam/history 3D. The DFF3D sonar/sectional display probably will show this type of noise the best. Below are a couple of screen shots of what this type of noise will look like. So how do you clean up the display? First make sure that the shields on the transducer cable are properly bonded under the metal transducer cable clamp. Second is to ground the DFF3D module itself. We have found in most cases these two items solved the noise issues.

Snips

Attachments

• Noise #1.JPG
    Noise #1.JPG
    131 KB · Views: 930
  • Noise #2.JPG
    Noise #2.JPG
    88.6 KB · Views: 930
Snips. Thank you! I grounded the DFF3D itself but I missed the part about grounding the shielding. Ill get that done and report back. Thank you

Snips your the man. That was it, 5 minute fix and it was rock solid. It was crazy rough around the jetties, 6ft at 6 seconds in the Gulf. And it even performed well in those conditions. Thanks again.

DeepSouthTX,
Great news, thanks for the update.

Good fishing.

Snips

Back