DFF3D (B54) / DI-FFAMP (R509LH)

WalneyDalBosco

Good morning,

I'm a beginner here and I have a recent purchase of a 30 "boat with a NavNET3 model TZT12F with DFF3D (B54), DI-FFAMP (R509LH), SCX-20, and NavPilot 300, set suggested by Furuno.

I liked the technical responses in the publications “DFF3 & Airmar R509LH”
and I would like better clarification on the use of the set.

Our Slow Jigging fishery targets 1) Amberkjack on 100-150m walls, 2) Groupers at 180-250m, 3) QueenSnapper 250-350m, 4) Swordfish 400-600m, and 5) pelagics as an alternative to trolling.

1. What better configuration should I use on each of the 5 targets?

2. What frequencies will I have the best result on the Airmar R509LH considering that DFF3D (B54) with 165kHZ?

3. Can you talk about the scan tests using the two drums?

THANK YOU VERY MUCH :respect

Attachments

• IMG_6855 1.pdf
    620.6 KB · Views: 50
WalneyDalBosco,

I’ve been asked this same question more times than I can count. Which are the best frequencies that are used for certain fishing...? I’ve been told for Bluefin Tuna use around 60 kHz, Squid from anywhere starting at 133 kHz to 240kHz, and for Cod start around 145kHz -175 kHz.

However, most fisherman really guard their preferred Fish Finder tuning frequencies, and don’t like to share them with others to often. For spotting swordfish (up to depths of 10,000 feet), for example, you want to use a much lower frequency. The R509LH is the perfect transducer to use are it transmits on a low chirp bandwidth of 28 to 60 kHz. and this frequency range allows you to see those type of fish at such great depths.

But it’s important to maintain the same fish-finder settings all the time. Changes in the sensitivity, for example, can alter the characteristics of fish marks. That means you might not learn to recognize the species unless you maintain some consistent settings, and with the introduction of Chirp technology and side-looking sonar, all Furuno fish finders have progressed mightily in the past few years. Yet, ultimately, the effectiveness of those systems hinges on your dedication to learning how to use that technology and studying what’s on the screen. I can only tell you keep a detailed notebook, put in a little time and learn to translate those marks and ID the species you are looking for.

- Deep Blue :wink7

Back