DFF1 vs direct connect

Tucker

Removed my NavNet VX2 and installed new to me tz2 have airmar b60-20. Am I better off just plugging into the mfd or keep using the dff1. If dff1 how do I connect from dff1 to the mfd? The cable going from the dff1 to the NavNet was different than what fits the new mfd.

2nd question. The temp reads fine on the NavNet but when I plug transducer directly to the mfd I get crazy high reading. Is there an offset on the mfd or a setting?

3rd I don’t see a listing in the mfd for b60-20 but it may cross reference to 525T-ltd/20. Can someone confirm.

Thanks!

DFF1 has more circuits so if you have; use that. There is a temp offset but if way off it is unlikely to correct. The B60/20 is part number 525TID-LTD/20 so that is the setting you would pick.

Thank you for the info. Can you point me in the right direction of the temp offset. Also when going from the dff1 to the mfd the cable used for the NavNet doesn’t seem to fit into the xdr receptacle on back of mfd. do I need a different cable or does it use the Ethernet port?

Update. I reinstalled the VX2 and temperature works fine thereby eliminating the possibility the transducer is bad
I wonder if there is a setting that’s off on or just really wrong

Last edited:
Johnny thanks for all the help. I think I had another question in there. Do I connect the dff1 to tzt2 via standard Ethernet cable or is a special cable like the one I have going to VX2? Thanks

DFF1 and TZT2 use the standard RJ45 Ethernet connection. They can be connected via a straight or cross-over cable because either will work as the units have auto sensing ports. More typically if have Radar and other items everything would connect to a low cost off the shelf hub/switch.

Thank you

Last question (I hope) can you point me in right direction to download my VX2 waypoints so I can upload to tzt2? Thanks again

Use an SD card in the Vx2 to save the points and routes then copy them over to a USB stick to insert them into the TZT2. The TZT2 has a built in Vx2 point converter that will convert the points on the USB so that you can IMPORT them into the TZT2.

Finally got things installed today. The transducer when hooked to the dff1 and dip switches set correctly then plugged into the mfd doesn’t work.
Like the mfd isn’t seeing the dff 1 input. Tried three different network cables. Green light is on the dff1 so there’s power . Thoughts? When I plug the transducer into the mfd directly it works

The sounder only has one status LED on top of the box. It sounds like you are describing the RJ45 network connection lights for the network. What is the status light on the sounder doing?

Of the shelf plastic will work for short term testings but all boat network cables should always be shielded type with metal connectors. It doesn't have to be "Furuno" cables but they should be shielded, good speed rated cables with metal connections to pass the shield.

Thanks Johnny, I thought a plastic, off-the self UTP would work for testing, but certainly not for long term usage.

I made tucker a proper STP/Metal jacket cable that we'll try.

Spent 2 hours on and off with Furuno techs they’re stumped. Bottom line how do I test that the tztl12 Ethernet input is working. What can I hook up to it?

If the sounder is flashing a slow blink after 4 mins, it sees the NavNet system. It appears to be working properly. My guess it is an older DFF1 that needs a software update for the newer TZT systems to use it. I would start there. Upgrade the software and ensure like others have asked, that it shows up in the sensor list. Once connected and showing, go under "Fishfinder" under the initial setup menu and ensure that the DFF1 is picked as your fish finder "SOURCE" so that you are pointed correctly to select and use it.

Johnny, we assume that this DFF1 has never been updated and is most likely at v1.02. I've read the update instructions (via PC) which state "...DFF1 sounders with older software must first be updated to v2.01 or v2.02 before updating to v2.04 or above".

I've found the download page with the DFF1 software/instructions but it's not clear what package contains v2.01 or v2.02. Is the download for the NN3D these versions or can you point us to the download?

A Furuno dealer with login would find the software under the product after logging in but if you don't have access then it must be obtained from tech support or an authorized dealer.

Back