Convert Vx2 RDP-149 to C-Map

slwelsh

How can I get the latest C-Map software to load in a Vx2 display that was originally Navionics?

Background: I had a lightning strike a couple of weeks ago. Both RDP-149 displays survived, but I lost the Data-4 port on the main display, and the dBox display got a bit garbled. Turns out the NMEA port UARTs are the most sensitive thing in my electronics setup -- I lost a total of nine of them on the boat.

All the NMEA ports are on the main board, so I bought a used RDP-149 with screen damage (readable but not good) as an organ donor to scrounge the main board. (This is not my first surgery on an RDP display; something of a veteran now.) I did not realize it until later that the donor display was a Navionics unit.

No problem, I thought --- back when I had original NavNet displays (before I upgraded), I was easily able to switch a display from Navionics to C-Map using an Ethernet cable and a PC. I did not realize that with Vx2, Furuno has apparently made the process more difficult.

I have the proper small SD card, and an Ethernet cable, and I can make serial cables. I just need to know how to get 4.03 C-Map into the unit before I pull the boards out.

Donor display is serial 4345-1199. Current program is 195002301.08.04

Thanks.

-Sean

slwelsh,

Converting a VX2 unit from Navionics to CMAP format is kind of a tricky thing, If done incorrectly chances are good that severe damage to the SPU Board could result.

Furuno USA Inc. recommends not converting units via SD Cards, :noway I always recommend sending the unit to our Camas Service Center to have the unit converted over to CMAP Format properly.

-Deep Blue ;)

slwelsh":3fq3ehmw said:
I have the proper small SD card, and an Ethernet cable, and I can make serial cables. I just need to know how to get 4.03 C-Map into the unit before I pull the boards out.
Sean, what did you end up doing here?

Deep Blue":3fq3ehmw said:
Furuno USA Inc. recommends not converting units via SD Cards, :noway I always recommend sending the unit to our Camas Service Center to have the unit converted over to CMAP Format properly.

-Deep Blue ;)
I understand the dangers of using SD to change firmware. Would you happen to know how they flash these in-house? As the OP obviously is, I am familiar with serial connections. I'd hate to think I'm sending in a unit for someone to do something I could do myself a laptop a serial cable, and PuTTY. Shipping has it's own risks, after all.

Thanks! :sail

The service center also converts via SD cards with exceptions to older versions that also require hardware modifications to the network board. Normally when the service center does it, they can change the unit label on the chart door to save confusion down the road. If you want to convert it yourself, I would recommend you contact tech support to discuss.

Back