Comparison images/videos

danderer

Furuno Fan
I went with a DRS4DNXT this spring mostly because I could lay my hands on one. I'm thinking of augmenting or replacing it with an open array - probably a 4' DRS6ANXT. I'd prefer to stick with a 12v unit.

Are there any images or videos comparing the performance of the DRS4DNXT to open arrays? To me a picture is worth - well, a lot of words.

Thanks.

Hey Dan,

A while back I was lucky enough to have the chance to test the DRS4DNXT and DRS6ANXT at the same time so I have some knowledge on this. One thing I'd like to say first though is the DRS4DNXT radar you already have is no slouch. It can do some pretty amazing stuff and always provides excellent returns. It has all the same features as it's bigger brothers DRS6ANXT, 12ANXT and 25ANXT. I have tested a lot of radars and can say without hesitation the DRS4DNXT is by far the best dome radar on the market, so you made a good choice.

As you move to an open array though, the longer antenna will always get you better target resolution across the board. Before you look at the pics below, just know I had limited room on my boat for two radars, so the DRS6ANXT I tested had the 3.5' open array. The targets you see would be extremely close to what you'd see if you opted for the 4' open array. All pictures were taken in the same area on the same day, so look closely at the comparisons.

The very last picture in this group is one of my all time favorite radar pictures I've ever captured. This is a from a DRS6ANXT. While the range is set to 12NM, you'll see that I am seeing targets past 18NM. If you count the buoys on the chart plotter you'll notice you see every one of them on the radar screen to the right. There simply is not a better radar to be found than the DRS6ANXT.

The only downfall with Forum pics is it resizes them and they aren't as crisp. If you'd like to see the original full size pics please DM me.

FullSizeRender.jpg
4DNXt 1NM.png
6ANXT.JPG
4DNXT CBRDGHBR.png
6ANXTCambridgeHBR.png
SMDScreenShot_2019_06_22_19_51_58 - Copy.png

This is amazing - what I hoped for but didn't really expect to find.

Now to download these and stare at them side-by-side.

Thanks so much.

Anytime. When you get done staring, if you have any questions please let me know. I have a lot of on-water time and experience with the entire NXT radar series and would be happy to help you with anything I can.

Best regards,

Stickman

Back