Chirp Transducer with Standard Sonar

A

Anonymous

I understand that chirp transducers, such as the Airmar TM265, are dual transmission line transducers which do not include an internal diplexer as would be the case with a two frequency, single transmission line transducer such as the TM260. Is it possible connect a TM265 to a DFF1 using an Airmar External Diplexer or Furuno MB-1100 matching box, and, if so, how would these combinations perform relative to an Airmar TM260 with the DFF1?

Tatuaje,
Good question but you are in luck because I will be testing a similar combination FCV-585/MB-1100/265 next week. I will have another FCV-585 with a B-260 right next to it so it should be a good comparsion.

Snips

Snips,

That's great, looking forward to hearing how it goes!

Thanks,
Tatuaje

Do you expect to have any benefits or just to test compatibility?

Will the 265 be operating in a range of frequencies or just at 50Hz or 200Hz in the tests?

Tatuaje,
I tested the FCV-585/MB-1100/B265LH today and found it is not a combination I could recommend. Because it was easy to do I tried bypassing the MB-1100 and going directly into the B265 which helped but still was not equal to what I was seeing using a B-260. Even though I didn't test the DFF1 its performance is pretty similar to the FCV-585 so I would expect that I would have seen the same results.

Snips

Snips,
Thank you for checking that out and getting back on it. This wasn't the answer that I was hoping for, but it's better to know.
Best Regards,
Tatuaje

Back