Chirp Frequency decision

JohnF

Hi All,

Need a recommendation on Chirp frequency range.  I run a charter company on the west coast. Most of our trips are local bottom fishing charters.

80% of our trips are fishing for rockfish and bottom fish in 150 to 450 feet of water.  Looking for good bottom, structure and fish detail at these depths.  Most of the time we're really at 180 feet to 260 feet. 

About 15% of the time we structure fish for bass in 25 to 100 feet or hoop for lobster at the same depths. Bottom detail is very important.

Lastly about 5% of the time would be for pelagic species in the water column usually around the Channel islands anywhere from surface to 400 feet.  Primarily yellowtail, bonito, barracuda, bass, etc.

I have a new Furuno GP1917F and want to get either a B175M or B175HW.  Was leaning towards the Medium for more flexibility but am now thinking about the High frequency because bottom detail is probably the most important thing for the majority of my trips. Will high frequency at 1kw give me the best bottom discrimination at depths of 150 feet to 450 feet?  If we go with the High frequency is the B175HW the best bet for my needs or is there a 1kw High frequency with a narrow beam that would be better?

Thanks so much in advance for your advice.

Capt John

B175H not the HW is a much narrower cone. 6 to 10 degrees. Versus the 25 degree fixed of the HW version. I have fished with both and currently have the HW. The HW is great especially at marking fish. But the wide cone flattens the bottom return so you dont get as much definition. The H version is the other way around. Great at showing the bottom and fish holding tight but the narrow cone reduces the number of fish you can see in the water column.

Back