brilliance (brightness) sharing: TZT9F and 711c

madmike

We installed a TZT9F chartplotter and NavPilot 711c autopilot. Both units are a big upgrade over what we had before. The biggest mystery is how to sync the screen brightness between the two. We turned on Brilliance Sharing on the TZT, but the NavPilot doesn't seem to listen.

They are communicating over NMEA2K: We can set a waypoint on the chartplotter and the NavPilot will steer to it. If we turn off the pilot, the chartplotter shows a red "lost communication" warning. They are both receiving data from other NMEA2K instruments.

The other item that seems buggy is that the TZT9F doesn't know the rudder angle; it just shows ---.

While display brilliance synchronization works well with some of our other products, with the NavPilot 711c, it is not currently a supported feature between it and the TZ Touch 3s.

Hope this helps, :sail

- Maggy

Page 7-23 of the operators manual describes how to enable the PGN 127245 that is needed to broadcast the rudder position over the NMEA 2000 network. It took me a while to figure that one out, but that will allow you to see the rudder position on the TZT3 display once enabled.

madmike":1i4m4ue1 said:
The other item that seems buggy is that the TZT9F doesn't know the rudder angle; it just shows ---.

For this to work the FAP7002 needs to be turned on, and show Rudder Angle pos in the 711c control head.

Than to gtstang462002's point double check that you are outputting the rudder info to your CAN BUS...

Hope this helps, :sail

- Maggy

Attachments

• download (15).jpg
    download (15).jpg
    88.7 KB · Views: 145
I'm also not getting the rudder angle on my TZT3, I do get it on the 711C AP control head.

Thanks for the tip on the N2K output. I tried today to get to the CAN Bus menu, but I am at a loss on how to get to it. I can get to the User menu, but not the menu tree that has the Can Bus. The manual only talks about getting to this menu tree on the initial setup when the unit is first powered up - no secret key strokes to get into it after the initial setup is done. Anyone know how to access the Can Bus output menu?

All the equipment is installed (DRS4D-NXT, TZT3 12F, NavPilot 711C, and Vesper XB8000), diver cleaned the bottom and prop so I'm hoping for sea trial next week to get the PG700 calibrated and verify everything is working correctly.

Thanks,

S/V Pearl

Push and hold the menu/back button and then click the roto knob 3 times. That should bring the menus up that you are trying to get to.

Thanks so much!

Walked down to the boat and tried it - kept holding the menu/back button too long, but once I got in (press menu/back and while holding immediately hit the roto knob button 3 times). I found the 127245 output OFF and changed to ON and got the rudder feedback showing on the TZT3.

Thanks again, I appreciate it.

Awesome, glad you were able to get it working. The directions on how to get back into that menu are somewhere in the manual, but I don't remember where I found it at.

gtstang462002":16q2ti2l said:
Awesome, glad you were able to get it working. The directions on how to get back into that menu are somewhere in the manual, but I don't remember where I found it at.

It's on P. 3-3 of the Installation Manual (see below). ;)

- Maggy

Attachments

• NP711-installmenu-method.jpg
    NP711-installmenu-method.jpg
    109.5 KB · Views: 110
Back