Best transducer for FCV 587

A

Anonymous

Hi,

I am interesting in purchasing a FCV 587 to install in a 2001 Searay 310 Sundancer (engines: twin Mercruiser 350 MAG MPI with VDRIVES). Could you pease help me in choosing the right transducer for me? Looking for 1kw, use in salt water, Bottom Discrimination Function. Can I use either thru-hull or transom transducer mount with the same effectiveness? What is the difference in performance when using a Matching Box MB-1100 or a transducer not requiring this Box?

Thanks in advance

Thbouro,
If you want to use a 1Kw transducer with the 587 you have three choices. A CA50/200-1T, CA50/200-12M or 526TID-HDD. None of these are considered a transom transducer. Of these three probably the 526TID will be the easiest to install for two reasons. First it doesn't require the MB-1100 and second it has a high speed fairing block. The 587/526TID is a great combination IF the transducer is mounted in the correct location on the hull.

Snips

Snips,

Thank you for your quick reply. My boat is trailerable so I am afraid CA50/200-12M and 526TID-HDD would not fulfill my needs (or would be possiblle to install them even though she is trailerable?). Actually I was thinking of a thru hull flush mounted (or low profile), is there any? As I know transom mounted is not compatible with my boat (inboard). Also I would like the selected transducer to be able to measure the temp.

Concerning the CA50/200-1T, I tried to find installation guidance to understand how it should be installed but rather I was confused. Is it an in-hull type transducer? Does this mean that this transducer can be installed in the hull (inside the bilge) without needing to open any hole at the hull? If it is installed as "in hull", will ACCU-FISH and Bottom Discrimination Function work properly? What about temp?

I searched the Airmar's site and discovered a couple of possible options. Are B164 and SS164 compatible with FURUNO FCV587 and keep the desired specifications (temp, ACCU-FISH, BDF)?

Any advice and guidance is more than welcome.

Thank you in advance

Snips":2qstakxg said:
Thbouro,
If you want to use a 1Kw transducer with the 587 you have three choices. A CA50/200-1T, CA50/200-12M or 526TID-HDD. None of these are considered a transom transducer. Of these three probably the 526TID will be the easiest to install for two reasons. First it doesn't require the MB-1100 and second it has a high speed fairing block. The 587/526TID is a great combination IF the transducer is mounted in the correct location on the hull.

Snips

Thbouro,
Your 1Kw options are very limited with the 587 if you want to have Bottom Discrimination. The CA50/200-12M doesn't have a high speed fairing, temperature and will need the MB-1100. The 1T doesn't have temperature and will need to be tank mounted plus the MB-1100. The flush mounted B-164 or SS164 will work but you will lose the 587's BD mode. I feel the 526TID-HDD is still the best bet. Does your trailer have bunks or rollers? Do you have any pictures how your boat sits on the trailer?

Snips

Snips,

the trailer has bunks. I have a photo that gives a very generic idea, I should have to take some new. How can I upload them? Could you please tell me how much reduced will be the fishfinder performance if I chose a 600w transducer? (compairing to the one of 1kw). What are my options for a thru-hull flush mounted low profile 600w transducer?

Thanks

Thbouro,
In my humble option, its all about the transducer and it's placement. The better the transducer and placement, the better overall performance you can expect. Below are a couple screen shots that I have posted before of how much difference a good 1kw ducer can make. In the screen shots I am not changing any settings only the transducer. Additionally I am only using 600w into a 1Kw ducer.

Snips

Attachments

• 1Kw 600w.JPG
    1Kw 600w.JPG
    89.6 KB · Views: 3,806
  • NavNet #2.JPG
    NavNet #2.JPG
    91 KB · Views: 3,804