Availability of CMOR relief shading V5

lakershen

With the new offshore boat, I really want to get into deep dropping.
After some research, seems like CMOR relief shading is the best option.
Have Garmin relief shading on my bay boat, the coverage for the Keys is minimum.

CMOR just released V5.
Unfortunately, it is not available on Furuno yet.

Furuno customers: Instead of a physical card, you will receive an unlock code to access CMOR imagery on your device. Your NavNet system ID is required in order to generate the unlock code. Also, please note that South Florida Florida V5 is not yet available for Furuno is it is in the processing stage.

When will V5 be available on Furuno?
Really do not want to buy V4 now and pay $350 for an update in a few weeks.

Also, a related question.
Why Furuno handled it differently by not using a physical card?
As users, what are our benefits? Better integration with navigation chart? More details on the relief shading chart?

Thank you!

It normally takes about 1.5 months for a new version to be processed by Mapmedia to be available, once CMOR has provided them the data. When checking with Mapmedia in early December, CMOR had not yet provided them v5 data. If CMOR has since provided the data then it should be in the next month or so. You ask the deeper questions and it is good. Why not the physical card is a larger answer than you might think. It is done for several reasons. When on the card it is in the mapping companies locked format (proprietary) and they are entirely in control of how the data looks and works in the plotter. The hardware company must use their API software. For Furuno to use the TimeZero MapMedia 3D charting (where there is no redraw under the boat etc) we needed to be in control of the charting otherwise it is just like everyone else's running the API. It also removes the logistics of a customer getting the chart they want quickly. Let's say you are in the Bahamas and decide to go to Jamaica but you need charting. You could run all over the island trying to find a dealer for the correct physical card needed or wait to have something mailed from the USA, or simply call your dealer and have an unlock code e-mailed to you. Even if the wanted chart wasn't pre-loaded, only an internet connection and PC is needed to get the data onto your existing card. It is a different concept and has worked very well since the NavNet 3D came out in 2008. MapMedia continues to work on options and keeping the core data easy to download and available for customers. No matter the raw source (NOAA, C-MAP, HO, CMOR etc), ultimately these machines run MapMedia charts. CMOR runs and sells the MapMedia program of their charts. When something is going to release resides with them. If they say that they are waiting on Mapmedia, ask them when the version you are requesting was handed over for conversion and it will be give you a good idea when it will be released back to them in Mapmedia format to sale.

Thank you so much Johnny for your very detailed reply. The over the air install/update feature is definitely more advanced. The only downside is that it takes longer to get newer version. It happened infrequently though. I called MapMedia and their technical support tam did not see any information on CMOR V5. They will contact their publishing team and get back to me.

Any update to this? CMOR SFL v5 has been out for 4 months now.
Has been chasing Furuno, Cmor and Mapmedia on this in the past weeks. Finally got an answer. Mapmedia prefers to process all V5 data at once, not region by region. Cmor is putting together all V5 data now. Once it's finished, they will submit all data to Mapmedia. Once Mapmedia receives the data, it's relatively quick to process the data. Hope V5 can be available on Furuno in one to two months. Cmor added me to their distribution list, once available for Furuno, they will notify me. I hope someone from Furuno can be on it and drive the process quicker. Otherwise, no matter how good the over the air update experience is, Furuno users will get the mapping data updates much later than other platforms' users.

I purchased the V5 update and enter all the codes and they seem to be accepted. But still stuck in V4. Call Furuno and he told me that only the V4 is available to install in furuno currently. Does anyone have V5 installed in the unit yet? That could help begin my troubleshooting. Thanks.

Back