Autopilot for Tzt14

wreckless

I have the new TZT14 and am looking to add an autopilot. I need to know which autopilot and all equipment I need that would be best for this boat. I mainly fish offshore east coast 15 to 80 miles. I will be replacing a 32 year old Benmar autopilot with a main controller in the saloon and power unit mounted insde the flybridge console attached to the hydraulic. It utilizes an electronic mechanical compass mounted low in the forward v berth. Boat is a 1980 38 Bertram weighing 30k lbs., cruises at 18kts powered by twin detroits. My Tzt14 is on the flybridge. Do I need to mount the autopilot unit on the flybridge or can I put it in the saloon and just network to the TZT? Can I control all aspects of the autopilot via the TZT?

Will adding the autopilot get rid of the annoying "Heading lost" warning on my charts?

If your existing autopilot is working, you should be able to take the heading from it to a NMEA 0183 to NMEA 2000 adaptor like the IF-NMEA2k2 to provide the TZT the heading it is looking for. If you are ready to replace your pilot anyway, then I would recommend the NavPilot 700. It can have up to 6 control stations connected to it. The TZT can NOT control all aspects of the pilot. You would still need to have the pilot control display where you would like pilot control. You might work with you local dealer to survey your needs. You might be able to keep the exiting pilot's hydraulic pump with the NavPilot 700.

My boating and updating of equipment was postponed due to Sandy and I am now back to working on my system. Is the recommendation for a new autopilot to go with my TZT14 still the navpilot 700? I can even wait if there is something new coming out. I figure I will replace everything on my autopilot. By the way what is the latest version of software for the tzt14?

"I will be replacing a 34year old Benmar autopilot with a main controller in the saloon and power unit mounted insde the flybridge console attached to the hydraulic. It utilizes an electronic mechanical compass mounted low in the forward v berth. Boat is a 1980 38 Bertram weighing 30k lbs., cruises at 18kts powered by twin detroits. My Tzt14 is on the flybridge. Do I need to mount the autopilot unit on the flybridge or can I put it in the saloon and just network to the TZT?"

The NavPilot 700 series is, and will be, the current model for at least the next few years. It hasn't been out that long. The Navpilot 500 series is no longer available (but parts, software updates and support continue). The NavPilot 700 series supports both NMEA 0183 and NMEA 2000 and many assorted boats and configurations. If you are running a full TZ system (not mixed with NN3D) then you can display an autopilot control screen on your display, and then control the pilot without having the control head mounted in your fly bridge area. With that plan, you could mount the NavPilot 700 control display in the salon if you wish. Keep in mind that you will still have to go to the physical control head when you wish to turn on or off the pilot.

Back