AIS

Status
Not open for further replies.
A

Anonymous

I buy the AIS of ICOM...and I connect it to NEMEA 2000 port Data in and Data out...what I must to do to see the targets?
Thanks. Giovanni Fabio

gifabio
The NavNet 3D system doesn't currently support NMEA 2000 AIS units. You must use a network AIS like the FA30 or FA50 or a serial RS422 NMEA 0183 AIS which there are many on the market to choose from.
Johnny

Johnny Electron":2gdlytf6 said:
a serial RS422 NMEA 0183 AIS which there are many on the market to choose from.

Oh.. the horror !! :shock

When oh when will Furuno comply with the AIS N2K standard? :questions

:ugeek:
cheers,
Nick.

Johnny Electron":czb2q65p said:
...The NavNet 3D system doesn't currently support NMEA 2000 AIS units...
Johnny

Yeah - Johnny - inquiring minds want to know when? :questions Thanks

Johnny Electron":27ajabzm said:
gifabio
The NavNet 3D system doesn't currently support NMEA 2000 AIS units...

Johnny - when do you think it will? :huh I don't want to pull 0183 wiring to our MFD. N2K and ethernet is crowded enough. Thanks

For a period of time the NMEA 2000 AIS sentences were not approved by NMEA, but now that they are; I would expect Furuno to adopt it. I am sorry; I don't know when it might come around. It is still just one connection regardless if you are talking NMEA 2000, 0183, or network. If you wire up AIS to the NN3D MFD via 0183, it goes over the network to ALL units, so NMEA 2000 isn't offering a big advantage in this example.
Johnny

Johnny Electron":3lje9ajn said:
....... so NMEA 2000 isn't offering a big advantage in this example.
Johnny

except that NMEA 2000 is already installed, running yet another 0183 wire wouldn't be needed.

dotdun":7tcd5sqk said:
Johnny Electron":7tcd5sqk said:
....... so NMEA 2000 isn't offering a big advantage in this example.
Johnny

except that NMEA 2000 is already installed, running yet another 0183 wire wouldn't be needed.

DotDun took the words out of my mouth...is this a future enhancement request you / we can request? Some of your customers (and potential customers) I suspect want to have no 0183 on their boats. Thanks Johnny.

Furuno Japan has given no indication that it ever intends to have the NN3D work with AIS via NMEA 2000. AIS is supported via the Furuno network and NMEA 0183, on this system. More programming generally slows things down. The suggestion was passed, but I wouldn't hold my breath. If support is added in the future; it will be part of the software history listing, when the software comes out. From what I can tell the next software will not hold AIS NMEA 2000 support. I would suggest using one many NMEA 2000 to NMEA 0183 converters available, if you have a NMEA 2000 “only” AIS unit and the NN3D.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back