AIS ICOM 506

I bought mine in August. I did speak with Icom technical support and they said I need a firmware update for the AIS to work with the TZT2. They are arranging for the update under warranty. Hopefully that works.

Lunderic - Well I'm not sure a software update is going to work because I just checked my invoice and I purchased my Icom 506 before you. July 11,2015 serial #21001180 and it is working fine and my tzt shows all the AIS data it is putting out. I was at the boat today and I also checked my software to confirm that I did the OS update correctly and sure enough I got the same thing Johnny E gets. 2.04:2.04:2:05. Have you checked your connections? I did not install mine but my connection from the ICOM 506 to the TZT directly into my Nema 2000 backbone. Also maybe verify with ICOM that you really need to send your ICOM back to get it to work since my serial# 21001180 Icom 506 works fine.

I also got the depth sensor working but for the life of me I don't know how.

When I first started messing around with it today I confirmed in the FI70 Incoming PGN's that depth Code 128267 was not highlighted and there fore not getting the info from the TZT2. I then verified that the tzt2 NEMA2000 output PGNs were highlighted for the depth and it was.

I then looked in the tzt2 Nema 0183 outputs and see that I had set them all on. So I turned all the 0183 output PGN's off. I also noticed that after the update my transducer did not update or the shop that installed the tzt2 did not program the correct transducer as it was set to manual 50/200. Mine is the Airmar 525T-BSD so I found the neat transducer list in the tzt2 and enabled my 52T-BSD ducer and then looked over at my FI70 to see the elusive Depth incoming PGN #128267 was now enabled and highlighted. Check my test and the depth was reading finally.

So bottom line is Something I did worked but I dare not go back and try to reproduce the problem and anger the TZT GODS.

Johnny E. what do you think it was? hopefully no one else had this problem but just in case it would be good to know what did I do that corrected the issue.

Your grief was most likely caused by the NMEA 2000 shared network settings. The FI70 like the NavPilot 700 has the ability to select NMEA 2000 sources off the bus OR automatically use the sources chosen by the TZT/2. This is a big advantage over other companies that normally don't allow you any ability to change which NMEA 2000 "source" of data you are displaying. This is very useful when you say have two or more sources of the same type of data. With the flexibility come settings and not configured that data wont show. The FI70 even goes beyond this where you can have a MASTER FI70 tell all your other FI70s on the network to show the same data sources. I am glad you hit upon the correct settings. I missed that part of your posting prior.

Concerning the Icom 506. The old firmware with the improper PGN data will work with the Furuno TZT2 as long as you update the TZT2 software. We made changes to accept the PGN awaiting changes from Icom. The new radio firmware should correct the PGN data and be accepted by not only the older and newer TZT2 software but other units like the TZTouch. I suspect Lunderic has something wrong with the Icom or his NMEA 2000 bus. NMEA 2000 networks can be problematic if not built with the correct architecture or if you have a bad T or terminator on the bus.

Thanks Johnny E. I forgot to add that I also set the FI70 as "Slave" and not "stand alone" but Im guessing that really doesn't matter as its the only FI70 in the system. In any case this whole process has forced me to read the installation manuals for both the TZT and the FI70, something I hate doing but will be better off for in the long run.

JE,
I checked all connections and with tech supports help we turned on the NMEA 2000 monitor and the AIS info is on the NMEA2000 network. I just can't get it to display probably because I can't get the radio to receive the GPS info from the network. The GPS info is displaying on the FI-70. Defective Radio Perhaps?

JE,

Could it still be the "T" or the terminators? I'll try replacing both but considering the AIS info is on the network it seems as though the connections must be working.

Thanks for your help!

Might be a silly question but you have swiped up from the bottom of the screen and turned the display of AIS "On", correct?

I think so but I'll check when I'm back on the boat Monday. Either way the radio is not picking up the GPS off the network.

Thanks,
Eric

Don't forget if the TZT2 is your GPS source you MUST turn on the GPS PGN data to go out the NMEA 2000 port to reach the radio. (MENU - SETTINGS - INITAL SETUP - PGN OUTPUT)

The PGNs are turned on and displaying on the FI-70. I did swipe up and confirm AIS was on. I replaced the "T" on the NMEA 2000 network. Still no luck. Any thoughts on what to try next?

Thanks,
Eric

If you have the new software in the TZT2 and it shows up in the sensor listing and PGNs are on the bus (showing on the FI70), it should be working. Our shop unit and other customers are up and running. You might have bad NMEA 2000 architecture and getting reflected data on the bus. NMEA 2000 can be a bear if not working correctly. I think it is time to send the unit into the service center and so it can be tested on the bench to see if it can be duplicated. If the unit has an odd problem it can be taken care of under warrantee. If it tests good, you know you have something going on with your 2000 bus.

JE-Thanks. I do have the new software (confirmed on sensor list screen) and the PGN's are showing as active on the FI-70. I did order a second TZT2 unit so when that arrives I'll be able to confirm if it's that unit. I'm going to go through NMEA network again and I'll change out the terminal resistors and the drop cable from the radio. If I send the unit out for testing how long does that usually take? Icom wants me to ship them the radio for firmware update as well so I'll send both out at once.

If I send the unit out for testing how long does that usually take?

The service center normally takes 7 to 10 business days depending on work load, once the unit has arrived. Right now they are running about 7 days.

What firmware rev are you running in the M506? It needs to be at least 1.002, and I just learned today that 1.004 is available and fixes some AIS related issues. I don't know exactly what issues, nor what other things it might fix.

The Radio has software version 1.000. I plan on sending it back to ICOM during winter layup. I thought however that with the software update on the TZT all should work. I did just receive a second TZT2 so I'll update the software on that unit and test.

Just joined the forum. We are currently in a boat yard having all of our navigation, DC equipment and masts replaced due to a lightning strike. We are in the process of installing a TZT2 and ICOM M506, and having the same issues described by others. From what I have read on the forum, it appears as of March 2016 (version 2.05) the problem still hasn't been resolved. We're hopeful that Furuno will resolve this issue soon. Any ideas as to when? We are nearing the completion of all repairs and would like to avoid installing a IF-NMEA2K converter as another poster recommended, unless this is the only way to resolve the issue.

You shouldn't have any issues if you run the most current firmware from Icom. Have you verified your unit has the newest firmware? What has Icom said? We have been receiving a lot of grief with this ICOM unit. The original problem with the AIS was because of how they were formatting their PGN. We wrote a work around and took a lot of grief. They have since fixed this PGN in their firmware. They have several versions, so please check with them to ensure you have their latest. Recently, we have had some reports where the ICOM is not getting GPS data from the TZT2. This is a new issue and we are looking at it. Early thoughts are that ICOM will need to make another firmware correction. They appear to be trying to use the GNSS data PGN for GPS when they should be using the POSTION PGN for this data. Since GPS wasn't a reported problem in their early firmware, I believe they can fix it easy enough. Rest assured we are doing what we can on our side of things. Because we are more responsive to our customers than most companies many are looking to us.

Thanks for the quick reply. I can't get ahold of my electrician today. I will call ICOM to verify that we have the latest software in their unit. As to "Testing of the next version of the TZT2 software shows the Icom 506 works fine for GPS via the GNSS PGN", what version is this and when will it be available?

Back