ActiveCaptain POI Database Installation Issue

Klems

At the end of January, I finished up a TZT2 15" installation on my 30' Pursuit. I had a professional installer do the installation, and besides one of the menus on the FI-70s, there hasn't been an issue. It is a huge leap beyond the antiquated Northstar system I had and I am enjoying getting used to the features on my TZT2. I have software version 4.01 installed.

This past weekend, I was trying to get more of the Wireless LAN features activated. I'm using my cell phone's hotspot as all the local Wifi spots are pretty locked down. I'm up with my TimeZero Account and weather data, but I git a snag with getting my ActiveCaptain database working.

I loaded up the POI database to a 32GB Sandisk MicroSD card, put that in a card reader and attached that to the white USB pigtail port off the back of the unit. I then followed the instructions in the manual: http://www.furunousa.com/ProductDocuments/ActiveCaptain POI Database Installation Procedures.pdf

I get up to the point where the progress bar goes away, a fresh TZT2 logo screen comes up *without the progress bar*, sits for a few seconds and then goes back to the main loading screen with the progress bar and then boots up the rest of the system. I do not get a "Copy Data" progress bar/box. I've tried the installation a few times, with the same results. I have also shut off all the other network devices thinking that might have something to do with it.

With the USB installation failing, I tried just signing in to ActiveCaptain and trying to download the database that way. I can get in in fine and I get the alert that the database is updating, but after letting it run for more than 2 hours, I never get a full database. I get quite a few POIs around me in Southern California, but the Last Update field still reads "- - -", which I think means I don't have a complete database.

I'm not quite sure where to go from here in troubleshooting this. Does anyone have any ideas? I'd like to get everything fully working on my system.

The button timing on the install process can be tricky. Pay very close attention to the instructions. In lieu of loading the POI, you can download them as you attempted. The problem is the database is very big. You would need to connect to a very good Wi-Fi source like broadband/cable connection to download that much data in a timely manner. Using a cell phone or poor Wi-Fi wouldn't be recommended to download the full database with. This is why loading the bulk of the database by USB has been established. New units will have the database pre-loaded. For those upgrading like yourself, if you continue to have problems you can always contract a dealer for help or send the unit into the service center.

Thanks for the feedback, I'll see if I can find a good WiFi and troubleshoot from there. Is there anyway to delete the database and start over, or will it automatically fix any errors?

Back