711c

ajax

Furuno Fan
I have a 29' Blackfin (sportfisher) with twin inboard diesels. Want to add furuno autopilot and understand 711c is the best choice. I see the standard inboard 711c kit includes: 711C Controller, FAP7002 Processor, FAP6112 Rudder Reference, and PG700 Heading Sensor, NMEA 2000. Questions:

1. How do I determine the appropriate pump for my boat? My old ap was simrad ap20 with a small RPU80 pump that worked fine.
2. I heard that rudder feedback isn't needed any more but don't understand what that means and if it's the case, why there's a rudder feedback device included in the standard bundle. Is the FAP6112 a rudder feedback device or is it the replacement for rudder feedback device? If the former, then is there a replacement and if so what is that?
3. My biggest challenge with all my autopilots in the past, mostly simrad, was the compass. Touch the trim tab, AP gets completely confused. Slow down, AP gets totally confused. If I get an SCX20 does that mean I don't need the PG700?

Thanks in advance. Basically, just looking for a list of exactly what I need for my use case which includes the best compass possible that accounts for yaw and pitch and all that jazz, if such a thing exists.

The SCX20 is the best and would make it where you don't need the PG700 fluxgate for heading. The normal inboard model/package does come with an RRU because virtual feedback is designed for smaller outboard boats where a feedback sensor is problematic by the engines. Performance is always better with real feedback. The NP711C will have no problems running your existing pump if it is still serviceable. Trim tabs are a problem for any pilot if you are adjusting them during the pilot operations. You can't fight the pilot and not expect some impact. It is much like your wife pulling on the steering wheel while you are trying to drive. I love the 711C pilot and it is a good choice and I am sure you will too.

Thank you. So I'm hearing that for a 29' inboard, there is no good alternative for rudder feedback - yes?

Also I get that tugging the wheel will cause some correction but if the compass is working correctly, the AP should still correct and end up back on the same course, correct? Any pitch or yaw of my boat currently and the boat has no chance of getting back on the AP heading correctly until/unless I re-initiate it. I don't think that's normal - it was not in my previous boats.

I have a similar but somewhat larger twin Diesel inboard express with a 711C autopilot. First, you definitely want a rudder feedback sensor if only to get a rudder position indicator display so you know that your rudders are straight when docking using the throttles. As Johnny notes, the AP will steer better with the rudder feedback sensor.

In my experience, the 711C will adjust after a few seconds if you modify the trim tab position and track properly. My boat is quite sensitive to the trim tab position because I have large trim planes and a very light cold-molded hull so if it works for me, I think you should be okay with the heavy Blackfin.

The SCX-20 will change your life and is worth the cost differential to upgrade from the PG700. Anything that depends on heading and position data will work better such as radar overlay on charts.

You should consider adding the "Safe Helm II" module that allows you to dodge pots, debris, etc without going to standby on the autopilot. It is a switch that goes in the hydraulic line and lets the autopilot controller know there is manual steering input if you turn the wheel. It switches to standby automatically and then retakes control a few seconds after you stop turning the wheel and returns to the course that it was following.

Thank you so much for that very helpful reply. It's all coming together for me now, slowly but surely.

Seeing the position of my rudder with the existing Simrad controller is worth the rudder feedback unit alone - I hadn't associated those two things in my head but it makes total sense, duh. And adding the Safe Helm II indeed sounds like a no-brainer while I have the hood up, although it does mean tapping into the hydraulic system if I end up using my existing pump.

More questions:

1. Can I use the existing Simrad rudder feedback unit that is already installed and working?

2. If I decided to go ahead and replace the old RPU80 since it's 10+ years old, how do I select which Furuno pump is best suited for my system.

So here's my equipment list I think:
  • Controller: New 711c
  • Processor: New FAP7002
  • Sat Compass: New SCX20
  • New Safe Helm II hydraulic flow sensor
  • Rudder Feedback: New FAP6112 *OR* use existing functional simrad RF unit depending on answer to question #1 above
  • Pump: New [?which furuno pump?] *OR* use existing functional RPU80. Might as well replace since I'll have the hydraulics open for the Safe Helm insert right?

Am I missing anything?

1. Can I use the existing Simrad rudder feedback unit that is already installed and working?
NO, the Simrad RRU is a total diffrent type (freq based) that isn't compatible. While many other manufacturers resistive based units can be used, you can't use Simrad RRU.

I wouldn't worry about the pump if it is working. If you decide to replace it, the pump is normally rated based on the total size of all steering cylinders used to move your rudder. (in cubic in) Do you know the size or model of your steering cylinder?

The AP computer on the 711c handles the larger pump for bigger boats. It all comes down to the amp draw on the selected pump.

Clever on Furuno’s part to do that so that there can have two price point units out there.

I have an rpu80 currently which I believe is under 10a. What is the max amperage that the 300 will push?

Can you get a remote for the 711c?

I don't know the amperage spec off hand. At this time there is no remote option for the 711C and do not believe that they are intending on adding that feature.

Navpilot 300 is good for 10Amp continuous and the Navpilot 711C is good for 25Amp continuous with direct pumps. Navpilot 300 has no solenoid control and other support offered by the Navpilot 711C but it does have a bluetooth remote.

Navpilot 300 has no solenoid control and other support offered by the Navpilot 711C
Can you expand on what the "other support" refers to here?

And also just to confirm - I can separately purchase the rudder feedback unit and use it with the 300, correct?

If all this stuff is easily referenceable on the Furuno product website, I apologize - not obvious to me if it is. I would think they'd have a simple comparison table or guide to help prospects figure out which one is best for their boat and needs.

Back