585/Garmin input

A

Anonymous

Hi. I have another question. Is it possible for my 585 to receive and show navigational data from my Garmin 541 chartplotter?? By way of NMEA 0183?

Thanks for any help, Joey

Joey,
Yes you can. Below is the wiring, Yellow is data high and Green is data low. You will need to go into the menu to configure the Data Boxes, but its pretty straight forward.

Snips

Attachments

• NMEA.JPG
    NMEA.JPG
    40.1 KB · Views: 1,878
541 wiring.JPG

Thanks Snips.

This is what I'm looking at on the Garmin. I'm using Port 1 for autopilot. Port 2 will go to the 585.

Garmin----------------585
Grey ---------------------------Yellow
Violet---------------------------White
Ground--------------------------Green

I am assuming green @ the 585 is going to ground because that,s how it's wired at the autopilot. My second assumption is the white @ the 585---Violet @ the garmin because I read it in another post.

Does this look right or am I assuming too much?? I know what can happen when I assume too much. :lol: Thanks, Joey

new541.JPG

Snips here's a bigger picture that will be easier too see.

Snips I believe I got it. Made the connections like this as posted above.

Garmin----------------585
Grey ---------------------------Yellow
Violet---------------------------White
Ground--------------------------Green

Everything seems to be working while the boat is on the trailer. I'll know for sure when I get to the water this week and try all the GPS related functions.

When I use the mark function on the 585, should the waypoint show up on the Garmin also??? Or only on the 585 waypoint list?? Joey

Joey,
Good for you. The FCV-585 will output a TLL (Target L/L) sentence. If the 541 accepts that, pressing the selected Waypoint should put a mark on the screen of the 541.

Snips

Attachments

• TLL.JPG
    TLL.JPG
    17.1 KB · Views: 1,853
Back