295 to a b265Lh

Snips,I really appreciate the advice.It is very hard to make all the adjustment's with customers in the boat.They want to go right to the fish..can you blame them.Were going to go out there this weekend(30-40) miles,with NO customer's to get this thing dialed in.I know it is a very good set up.I am going to bring the camera,so I can get you some pics..Thanks Again,Mike

What do you think of this picture..This is keeper grouper,we caught 6 keepers and many small ones.Sorry for the glare.Mike

Attachments

• fish.jpg
    fish.jpg
    103.9 KB · Views: 1,191
Mike,
Thanks for the screen shot. By the looks of the bottom you were moving around pretty good, what were the sea conditions? Are you still using 135Khz or have you tried going back up to 200Khz. Can you let me know what your Clutter and TVG settings are.

Snips

Snips,Sea was smooth less than a foot???Clutter was 40 moved it to 60.TV level was 3 left the distance at 600.What should I do??We were anchored in this picture??I am still trying the 139.5kh?? Mike

Daybreaker,
Since I don't know the area you are fishing in is the bottom that rough? Or is there stuff close to the bottom. Is it possible to send me a screen shot of the 295 with 0-100ft the right side and a zoomed on the left. At this point It's hard to second guess what settings will work the best. But judging from the thickness of the bottom return you are using a lot of gain and have to have your Clutter high to help suppress the noise. Lower your TVG distance and you may want to consider going back to 200Khz for it's narrower beam width.

Snips

Mike,
Also do you have a picture how your transducer is mounted?

Snips

Snips,Spent four more hours out on yhe water playing with the settings.Went back to all factory settings,except tvg at 3 and distance at 400.Seems like it was a little better. The faring is the same one I have had for the two b260s I've had (525thdd and 526thdd) the faring was done by a professional it is on a flat cat sponsen always been very good.Today it was marking bait very nice.How can i get it to pick up larger fish better?I did go back to 200kh with band with at 100.Feedback??? Mike

Attachments

• fish pics 002.jpg
    fish pics 002.jpg
    107.4 KB · Views: 1,154
  • fish pics 003.jpg
    fish pics 003.jpg
    139.4 KB · Views: 1,154
  • fish pics 004.jpg
    fish pics 004.jpg
    96.8 KB · Views: 1,154
Snips,What do you think of "mix" mode..Will it show larger bottom fish in blue? mike

Mike,
Thanks for the pictures. The transducer mounting looks OK and the screen shots are better, progress. The next things I would try would be using bottom lock on the left side of the screen which will flatten out the bottom and use Auto Range on the HF. Your targets look saturated so I would see how adjusting the Clutter Curve & Level to see how affects the targets. As far as using the mixed mode you can try but just know that you will need to set your LF & HF gains just right to get it to work.

Snips

Snips,I don't use bottom lock to much because We look for small ledges only a foot or two and Bottom lock show's the bottom flat..I will try it next time out.What way should I go with the TVG.Right know it is at 3 and 400.Should I go back to default??Thank you,Mike

Mike,
At this point (I feel) you are still using a little too enough gain. If you lower the TVG distance it will just be like turning up the front panel gain knob. Your targets are nice and strong, maybe to strong. I like to see more colors, your targets are either red or orange meaning you are running both your Gain and Clutter at a high level. But just because you see a smaller weaker echo doesn't mean a smaller fish it could be that the fish is on the fringe of the beam. The beam width of 200Khz at 50ft is 5ft.

Snips

Snips,Do you guys have any screen shots of the 295 with the B265 or B260 you can show.I did lower the clutter to 30%,will see ..Mike

Mike,
I checked my archives and didn't find any 295/B-265 HF at would be useful. However I did have one from a fellow that was fishing Sea Bass. This picture is from an FCV-1150 which has the same TR as the 295. I am pretty sure he was using a B-260.

Snips

Attachments

• Sea Bass.jpg
    Sea Bass.jpg
    63.4 KB · Views: 2,060
Snips,Why does my picture advance get slower when I get deeper?I have always run my my furuno sounders at 1/1.With this new 295 I set it at 1/1 in shallow water all is fine speed is good.When were in 100 ft ,1/1 is very slow..why??I have tried 2/1 but no detail.Any ideas?? Thanks,Capt.Mike

Capt. Mike,
Make sure the TX Rate is set for 20 and not Auto,

Snips

Snips,This is the way it was set.Tx power auto.Tx rate 20.Any suggestions?? Mike

Capt. Mike,
With the FCV-295 set on a Short 1 PL, Power at 10 and TX rate at 20 you have a full
screen speed of 1:02 on 100ft, 1:57 on 200ft and 2:44 at 300ft. Let me know if yours is different using those settings.

Snips

Snips,The only change was TX power from auto to 10.Doesn't seam any different at the dock.At the dock with the range at the lowest(16ft) the scroll speed is fast at 1/1.As I move up in range the speed gets slower and slower..Is this normal??We have two trips this week 75 miles offshore.We are going to give this 295 with a chirp yransducer a real test.Shouldn't the scroll speed get faster with the depth.Mine d

Capt.Mike,
The SOS (Speed of Sound) through water is roughly 1500m per second so it take less time for the sounder to TX/RX in 16ft of water than it does in 300ft.

Snips

Snips,l see in the manual you can adjust the sos from 1500 to 2000 ,should I play around here.Fished yesterday screen is slow at 1/1.Starting to think this transducer is not right.We have been running Furuno sounders for 20 years.My 582L with b260 and 585 with b260 were both ALOT better.Might take out the 265 and get a 260.I have always had great luck with them.Thought the 275 was better??™Mike

Back