1870f shallow brackish water

A

Anonymous

Purchased a 1870f that will be used for snapper offshore fishing in 90 to 120ft later.

In order in become accustomed to the features and use, I mounted the unit on a smaller boat and have been sounding in local waters nearby. The water is brackish, the upper 10 to 12 ft is a fresh water layer, the lower layer is salt brackish layer. A thermocline also exists. The depth than is being sounded is 10 to 30 ft. The types of fish common to the brackish water are large mouth bass, redfish, speckled trout, perch and shad. What should be expected using 50 and 200 hz using a 600 watt 525STID PWD transducer in the brackish water since it is not currently used in 100% salt water.

Captaintomahawk,
I don't have any sounder screen shots under those conditions to share with you. I would imagine that the sounder would work OK as long as the different water layers were clean. With that I mean I have pictures that show fresh over salt after a heavy rain. The fresh water had sediment which the sounder was able to detect on 200Khz.

Snips

Snips.
Thanks for responding. I am pleased with the resolution of the fish loupes and the known bottom structure that I am seeing. I was surprised that for my case the low freq 50 hz had better resolution than the 200 hz.

:furuno

Back