TZT 12 not reading LF in the salt

Quest4fish

My TZT 12 with a P66 525STID-PWD isn’t reading LF in the saltwater. When traveling through the bay turned on the sounder and wouldn’t show depth in LF at about 10-20 ft.,switched to HF and it really struggled to work.I got out to the ocean and HF was workin but not very well. It’s struggles a little in shallow salt water when there’s a bit of tide changes at 10to20ft. but nothing like this. I used it a month earlier in fresh water with no issues.
All the settings seem to be where I had them except I had the salt water switch on.
I Checked the transducer setting and have it on the 525 ST-PWD,there’s no 525 STID-PWD available setting.A-scope is on , transducer is in manual and the depth is in manual. Tried auto but I made it worse.
Any good ideas ??
Quest4fish

Have you checked that the face of the transducer is clean and that it is fully locked into the kick up bracket? Maybe it got unlocked from the kick up and that will cause problems.

Thanks for the reply, ya that was my first response was to make sure it wasn’t kicked up. Then when I trailered the boat I checked it over good and everything looked good.
On my back to the launch in the bay it started to act more normal for ten min. or so.Then it acted up again.
Quest4fish

Sounds like the transducer or sounder should be tested. Short of that, if you have a known good transducer to hang over the edge of the boat for testing.

So I’ve been messing around with a few things, didn’t have a extra transducer. I adjusted the picture advance which helped a lot but it still wants to cut out in swirling, (fresh or salt water) incoming tide and 2 to 6’ depths. You mentioned having the transducer and or the unit tested. So who would I contact to have that done.
Thanks Quest4fish

Furuno dealers and resellers are listed on our website (www.FurunoUSA.com) under "where to buy" button at the top. This is the dealer locator to find a dealer near you. I would recommend finding one near that has a tester.

Thanks,
Quest4fish
In Nov. I had my system checked out , the transducer checked out good. They did a system update , which seemed to work for a couple fresh water trips . The 3rd trip the sonar shut down with only speed and water temp , I reset it a few times and it started back up. The second time after, it went into standby mode. I reset it several times with no response. Then I noticed if I actually turned on the standby mode the sonar turned on.
It worked fine after that ???
There seems to be a glitch in that control.
Does it need to be reformatted ??

Thanks Quest4fish

Ya , I get that, but when the toggle is on for the standby mode it's actually off. When the standby mode is off its actually on.

Thanks

Sounds like the transducer or sounder should be tested. Short of that, if you have a known good transducer to hang over the edge of the boat for testing.

Back