1715 repair

MattM

I bought a boat last fall with a 1715 radar unit on it. It worked fine until recently it wouldn't come on and I found the main power fuse was blown. After I replaced it I turned the unit on and smoke came from the dome cable plug. Not sure what to do now as far as trouble shooting the problem. Any help would be appriciated.

It sounds like the replacement fuse was too big and allowed the unit to short out completely rather than blow the fuse again. You can remove the cable at both ends and ohm it out to check that for shorts. Inside the display or dome should be troubleshot by a qualified tech. The modulator board has roughly 5000 volts on it when powering the magnetron. It isn't something we can talk you through. I recommend you talk to your local dealer or send the unit into the Furuno repair center for evaluation.

It is strongly recommended to have the item inspected by your local Authorized dealer before sending it directly in for repair. In many cases, your local dealer will be able to initiate the repair faster. You can find a list of your local dealers using our "where to buy" link at the top of our website. (http://www.FurunoUSA.com) In the event that a dealer is not convenient to your location, send the unit to the Furuno Repair Facility with a detailed description of the problem. No RMA number or initial payment is required. Please make sure to include your contact information. The address is listed below for your convenience.

FurunoUSA
Attn:Service
4400 NW Pacific Rim Blvd.
Camas, WA 98607-9408

It normally takes about 7 business days. They will contact you after the unit has been evaluated. There is a $100 evaluation fee but it is wavered if you repair the unit.

Back