1715 Radar Unit Y branch to alternative display location

A

Anonymous

I just purchased a 1715 radar unit and would like to be able to operate the display from a second location, if possible. Is it possible to create a Y branching from the cable connecting the antenna with the display in order to move the display to a second location when desired (understand would also need power, etc, at the second location)?

I think it would be necessary to keep the total length of both segments the same, that is, if the original cable is 15 meters, the total length of the the Y branch between display and antenna would also need to be 15 meters.

Is there any way to accomplish this using the 1715 system?

rmcleran
The 1715 radar is a standalone radar without any network or slave display options. You can NOT do a Y branch. You would damage the units/scanner.

Out of curiosity and for my edification, how would that damage the units/scanner? What would cause the damage?

rmcleran
For one example each display would be providing operational voltages to the scanner (like for the motor) that will short together. (Is that something burning?) The output from the scanner, like radar video signal is not designed to be loaded by two displays and over time would burn up the IF video amplifier, in the radar scanner unit. Even before burning out the video signal might load down to a point that it won’t display on either unit. I won't even get into the HD sig/Bearing pulses coming down from the scanner.

The only possible thing you could do is rig a switch where ONLY one display is connected to the radar at one time. You would need to ensure the displays are off when doing the switching. In this manner you could have two displays wired so that electrically there is only one display connected, at any one time. This design still isn't ideal because of the possibility that someone might accidently make the switch while the unit is in operation. If you are going to build a switch, it would be best to work with your local dealer. Doing this is officially not supported and at your own risk.

Back