“NO RADAR”

Alysium

Howdy folks

I recently installed a DRS2DNXT. About 20 seconds after i turn it on from the switch it lights up on the Home Screen. Clicking on it takes you to the radar screen where it displays “no radar”. After about a minute it is grayed out from the Home Screen. In that first minute I can get into the sensor menu and click on it and get all the numbers, after that first minute it’s grayed out. I have 12 volts to the circuit board. When I was checking this I noticed cobwebs on the radar so apparently it hasn’t tried to spin. I must be missing something? Any thoughts or ideas appreciated. Thanks. Nate. IMG_0604.jpegIMG_0603.jpegIMG_0602.jpeg

It looks like the radar power breaker wasn't ON when the NavNet was brought up, so it was grayed out showing it was seen before; but not currently. Power the radar and give it a minute to boot and either restart the NavNet or hit the RESET button on the top right of your sensor list to refresh the list. If the radar is still not there it sounds like either the power or network connection to the radar is broken and would need to be troubleshot. Check the hub or whatever you might have between the unit and the radar scanner.

Thanks for the reply. I powered up the radar, waited about a minute, and powered up the mfd. By the time the mfd powered up the radar was grayed out. I then went to the sensor list, where it wasn’t listed, and reset that.( Power to the radar this whole time. ) it did not come up. I powered on the rest of the stuff and it all came up. I then turned the power off to the radar for about 10-15 seconds and turned it back on. It came upon the sensor list. I was able to click on it and see the same as the picture above. After about a minute it grayed out. So basically, after turning the power on to the radar the mfd will recognize it, but after a minute it grays out. I traced 12 volts to the pig tail for the radar. Pulled the dome and traced 12 volts to the circuit board. Do I need to check continuity for the lan/Ethernet cable? Any other suggestions?

Yes it sounds like something got pulled too hard with the scanner cable maybe. I would recommend taking a long Ethernet cable and go directly to the RJ45 port inside the dome and then take the other end to the RJ45 directly on the MFD. Make sure the radar is powered and then check the sensor list. If it shows up and remains working; you have a cable issue someplace with the networking part.

A new Ethernet cable arrived today. Installed is identical to conditions described above. Any other ideas, thoughts or suggestions? Anything to check in here?IMG_0611.jpeg

Do you have the blue wire attached to DC-? That's a common tripping point. You can connect the blue AND shield (black wrapped) wires to DC- but the blue MUST be connect.

The reason I mention this is that I have seen people only connect the "black" shield and it might work for a little bit but it will eventually start to fail.

Last edited:
If you have a bonded system the black should go to the bonded ground system (not be left open). The Red (+) and Blue (-) go to the battery power. While I have seen some tie the black (Shield wire) to the battery negative with the blue, that is only if you don't have a good grounding system onboard. As FishTech says, the BLUE must be connected to the neg of the battery or it won't power up. Have you put a meter between the Red (+) and Blue (-) right at that dome connector and checked that you have 12v right there? The bypass network cable is going directly to the MFD?

Do you have the blue wire attached to DC-? That's a common tripping point. You can connect the blue AND shield (black wrapped) wires to DC- but the blue MUST be connect.

The reason I mention this is that I have seen people only connect the "black" shield and it might work for a little bit but it will eventually start to fail.
Blue wire is connected to DC-

Black wire to bond.

I haven’t had it start to work… only “no radar”…

If you have a bonded system the black should go to the bonded ground system (not be left open). The Red (+) and Blue (-) go to the battery power. While I have seen some tie the black (Shield wire) to the battery negative with the blue, that is only if you don't have a good grounding system onboard. As FishTech says, the BLUE must be connected to the neg of the battery or it won't power up. Have you put a meter between the Red (+) and Blue (-) right at that dome connector and checked that you have 12v right there? The bypass network cable is going directly to the MFD?
Yes. I put a multi meter at the end of the wire line…where it hits the circuit board..12 volts..the aux cable was connected directly to the mfd. I tried swapping with the dff3d and had the same results. Perhaps, I should add, I added the dff3d, SCX20, and fm4800 at the same time and they seem to be playing nicely…

Looking at the sensor list, when you directly connect the DFF3D, do you see the DFF3D show up? If so the MFD network port is working. Given the power and the bypass cable, if the radar won't show in the sensor list; that is a problem for sure. I wouldn't worry so much about the NO Radar message. I would focus on getting it to show in the sensor listing. Once on the listing, you should be able to go under the radar menu at the bottom and conduct a hardware reset.

Yes the DFF3D shows up and stays on either network port. I can get the radar to show up on the sensor list, but only for about a minute, then it grays out. I assume the hardware reset is thisIMG_0620.jpegIMG_0621.jpegIMG_0622.jpeg

When I click “OK” it jumps to the previous screen. It reset to default settings. However, it still does the same thing. Powers up for a minute, then grays out.

Sounds like the network ports are good on the MFD. After reading the thread, I would say there is something wrong in the radar like the power board.

Back