FA50 antenna questions

A

Anonymous

I have an FA50 AIS connected through a HUB101 to multiple TZT14s. I have two Shakespere Galaxy 8 ft 5226-FLT Eliminator 6dB antennas mounted on either side of my flybridge. They are separated horizontally by approximatly 10 feet. One is connected to my VHF radio and the other is connected to the FA50. This seems to work well, but I have a few concerns: 1) Is it OK to use a VHF 6dB antenna with AIS? 2) Is 10 feet of horizontal separation safe for the AIS receiver when I use the VHF radio? 3) The AIS can see lots of targets, but there are also many targets that have an X through them (lost signal). Is this typical? Thanks.

Is 10 feet of horizontal separation safe for the AIS receiver when I use the VHF radio?

2 meters would be required, but more is better. Sounds like you are in good shape.

Is it OK to use a VHF 6dB antenna with AIS?

Depends on the cut of the antenna. AIS is at different freq and when trying to use a VHF whip for AIS it can be an issue, depending on how the manufacturer cut the antenna bandwidth. Most suitable antennas will be rated by the manufacturer for VHF and AIS. A normal VHF is okay for receive only AIS units, but not transponders. You might want to check yours.

The AIS can see lots of targets, but there are also many targets that have an X through them (lost signal). Is this typical?

Sometimes targets will show lost if the signal gets blocked but many will return. For those that are out of range, turned off, or blocked for longer time; you might have to clear your lost targets from the Roto-key. I would also recommend you are running V2 software and not V1 in your TZT units.

Back