AIS Options

remotecaptures

Adding AIS to my system and my current setup is
- MFD12
- DRS12A
- PSU012
- SCX20 satellite compass
- NMEA 2000 backbone

Can I use a FA-50 with a Furuno NMEA Data Converter IF-NMEA2K2 connected to my NMEA 2000 backbone? Will the FA-50 be able to use my NMEA 2k network to get GPS coordinates from my SCX20 and communicate with the MFD12? The way I have my MFD12 I really don’t want to run another cable up to it so hoping the NMEA 2k network will take care of things.

If the FA-50 requires an ethernet cable connection to the MFD in addition to being connected to the NMEA 2000 network for the SCX20 connection (with a NMEA 2k converter), can the FA-70 do everything over NMEA 2k including talking to my MFD12? Lastly, how big are the VHF antenna typically or does the AIS typically share the normal VHF radio antenna with a splitter? If so wouldn't that conflict when you use the radio?

Thanks,

Pete

AIS transponders are required to have their own GPS source and would not use your SCX-20. You might want to consider a “native” NMEA 2000 transponder such as a Digital Yacht AIT1500. It would be more or less plug and play once connected to your NMEA 2000 backbone. The AIS targets will show on the plotter. You would only need a NMEA 2000 cable between the transponder and the backbone that connects to your MFD. However, the transponder will need a power cable and a cable for its dedicated external GPS antenna.

AIS antennas are a slightly different frequency band than VHF although they work well with a VHF antenna. It is quite common to use a splitter made for the purpose to eliminate the need for another antenna. My view is that is fine if you have another VHF on board with a dedicated antenna. If you only have one radio, I would get a separate AIS antenna. Typically they are only four feet.

I have the Digital Yacht AIT5000. It is a Class B+ transponder with higher power and more rapid transmission rate than the older Class B standard. It also has a built in antenna splitter to share one VHF antenna with a radio. It works extremely well. The FA70 is similar but lacks the WiFi interface that the AIT5000 has.p

Last edited:
Back