UHD/DFF3D vs TZT3/DFF3D

Pthein

Furuno Super Fan
I currently have a TZTL15F and I am getting ready to upgrade the FF side of the world.

I will be using the same transducer with either setup but wondered if there was any comments on performance or feature benefits with one system vs the other. Transducers will either be
A - B275LHW and 165T-B54 each in a fairing block
or
B - 165T/275LHW pocket mounted
or
C - ???

The question of FF setup will be either
1 - existing TZTL15F running a DFF1-UHD and DFF3D
or
2 - Upgrade to TZT16F and DFF3D

Most of my fishing is primarily pelagic fishing in deep water where I am looking at the top 300' of water or near shore <200' for halibut, rockfish, salmon, etc.

I do see an advantage to system 1 being I can use the KP to avoid interference some have mentioned with the TZ3/3D setup. Is there any performance or features that would be missed of disadvantaged from the UHD vs TZ3?

Of course the TZ3 does have the faster processor and 4 way vs 3 way split but it would save some $$$ to use the TZTL.

Id appreciate any info or comments. Again, either system will have the same transducer array so that would be equal comparison wise.

Thanks

Phil

Pthein,

It's all dependent on your budget and of course where you can mount the transducer(s) that you want to use. I personally like using thru-hull transducers with a fairing block that get you past the boundary layer of the vessel's hull and provides you with better fishing performance. But that also means you have to install two separate transducers, and finding the real estate on the vessel's hull can be a challenge.

The DFF3D itself a separate module, so you know that you that you'll have to purchase that item if want a Multibeam Sounder. So now you must make a decision to stay with the current TZTL15F and then purchase the DFF1-UHD Chirp Sounder Module, or just remove the TZTL15F and replace it with the TZT16F and use that MFD for the Chirp Sounder.

I do like the speed of the TZT16F which is blazing fast, and it gives you the ability to use the Quad Screen (which comes in very handy when you are running the DFF3D and Dual Frequency Fish Finder Screens at the same time...) There more features planned for the TZT16F later down the road, I just cannot talk about that right now. ;)

So if you purchase the TZT16F, it will fit in the space that's currently occupied by the TZTL15F, and then you can use the TZT16F's Internal Chirp sounder, and this saves you from having to purchase the DFF1-UHD and finding the space onboard to mount another sounder module.

So now it all comes down to the transducer selection. I prefer using the individual transducers, but if you don't have the real estate to accomplish that, then go with the 165T/275LHW-12P Pocket Mount Combo Transducer.

Most customers that have purchased the DFF3D and a Chirp Sounder when using the B275LH-W, cannot believe the performance and fish detection that these unit's gives when fishing.

I hope this information helps you with your decisions..? :)
-Deep Blue

Deep Blue

Thank you for the valuable insight.

I have the real estate and I will definitely do the fairing block mounted transducers.

Any difference between the UHD and the CHIRP in the TZ3 from a feature and preformance perspective?

I have heard of some interference issues between the 165hz 3D and the high CHIRP that I was hoping the KP of the TZ2/UHD would avoid since the TZ3 doesn’t have KP capability? Is there any other work around for that issue?

You state future planned upgrades, would those be available on the TZ2/UHD also or am I going to need the TZ3?

Thanks

Phil

Back