TZT16F will not run unless I'm holding my finger on the power button

crck0848

I need help troubleshooting a new install with three new TZT16F MFDs. All three worked fine for bench testing at home and when first installed on the boat. Now two of them will not complete the boot cycle. They both do the same thing: show the Furuno logo screen with the message "scanning USB for update file ...", then the Furuno logo without the message, then the screen goes dark.

The odd part: If I keep pressing the power button every few seconds, the screen stays on. Sometimes it will complete the boot cycle, sometimes not. But if I wait longer than 3-4 seconds without pressing the power button, the screen immediately goes dark.

[EDIT: definitely not a power issue. All three MFDs will run together just fine as long as I'm pressing the power buttons.] I do not think the problem is related to power. The three MFDs are all on one circuit (15 amps @ 24 volts, new wiring). The center MFD runs fine, so obviously there's enough power to run one MFD.

Thanks in advance for any suggestions.

Last edited:
If they're all on a network, ethernet and/or N2K, I would remove them from everything and also remove any USB cards (except the one it came with). Then try to boot each one standalone and see if they boot properly.

I'm assuming in your bench test, they devices were not networked. I'd also check the SW version of each unit to see if there are any differences.

Thanks ... I've already disconnected all networks. There are no USB drives. I've removed the microSD chips and rebooted each one separately. I'm going to try reinstalling TZT3 from a USB drive.

No joy. By pressing and holding power buttons until my fingers got sore, I was able to update TZT3 from a USB drive. It did not fix the problem. Hoping for more suggestions!

If mine, I would get a 15amp (or larger) 12 or 24vdc power supply and wire the unit directly to a power supply with everything else disconnected from the boat; and then test. If tests bad, it should be sent in for repair evaluation. If tests good, the boat power/grounding system should be addressed.

@Johnny Electron - I guess I'll request an RMA. I have a 15-amp 24-volt circuit with all new wiring and breaker. The only devices on that circuit are the three MFDs. The center MFD runs fine by itself or with all three MFDs running at the same time.

I would isolate the unit from the boat to ensure it isn't a grounding or power issue but the service center will test it either way. If a Furuno USA customer and RMA can be obtained via our website (www.FurunoUSA.com) under Support button.

Thanks. I'll go ahead and send them in. All three MFDs have identical power and ground connections. I tried disconnecting two of them - basically a dedicated power and ground -- but it didn't change anything.

You have more than one doing this? Did the boat get hit by a power event? It is rare to see a problem unit much less more. I would definitely get those in if not running from isolated power.

I have 3 MFDs. Two are malfunctioning and one is fine. We've had no electrical storms since I installed them 2-3 weeks ago, nor any signs of other damage on the boat. I had all three working on a bench at home, and all were working when first hooked up on the boat.

Something happened or the boat has a wiring issue. Please let us know what the service center says about them. Not normal at all.

Just to close this out, the motherboards were defective on both units. Furuno is replacing them under warranty.

Back