TZT2 15 bad board?

mikeperez8

My TZT15 is not booting up. I’m getting good power & an amber light when the batteries are on. When I press the power button the amber light goes dark and I do not get the beep indication a boot up. The fan IS blowing however. I disconnected all other NMEA & network cables and ran direct power with same result. I also tried the factory reset sequence with the power button. I also made sure that it’s not just a dim screen.

I brought the machine to a local dealer who told me the repair would cost over $5000(more than what I paid for the unit).

My question is, does this sound accurate? It doesn’t seem right that Furuno would charge so much for a motherboard. Also, the unit is bone dry with NO damage.

You must be meaning the TZTL15F. If the mainboard is truly damaged the list price is $4230 for the board so I guess the rest was for his time/labor. Lightning or power surge, I can't speculate but you might want to send it into our service center for a second opinion. Like you, I don't think I would repair at that cost. I think I would go out and make the best deal on a TZT16F TZT3 and use the new $2,000 rebate to get a new unit for lower than the cost of repairing an old one.

You must be meaning the TZTL15F. If the mainboard is truly damaged the list price is $4230 for the board so I guess the rest was for his time/labor. Lightning or power surge, I can't speculate but you might want to send it into our service center for a second opinion. Like you, I don't think I would repair at that cost. I think I would go out and make the best deal on a TZT16F TZT3 and use the new $2,000 rebate to get a new unit for lower than the cost of repairing an old one.
Thanks for the response. It is indeed the TZTL15F. Just seems crazy to me that the board cost that much but I can buy an entire unit online for $3200 🤷🏻. I know the boat hasn’t been struck by lightning because it’s kept indoors. A power surge is possible, I guess, but I have the unit protected by 2 fuses and the TZT3 that’s right next to it is fine.

Honestly, I’m a bit concerned about investing in Furuno again if I have to worry about mainboard issues every 3 years….

You have to be careful with what is done to the multi cable wires because they are a direct path to the main board. Just like a trying to build a car from parts, parts are going to be much more. In the case of the main board, that is the heart of the system with CPU etc. What you have isn't common at all. I can't speculate but I can sympathize. The service center has been know to make sympathetic deals based on the age and condition of the unit. This is why I normally recommend the second opinion/confirmation. In the case right now with rebates, they might not have as much wiggle room but they normally will try to assist however they can.

Back