SCX 20 replace old GPS antenna?

Higgs

Hi. I have a TZ3 MFD and up to this point it has been using a Furuno GP-330B antenna for positioning, etc. Will my new SCX-20 provide the same data so that I can disconnect the old GP-330B, or do I need to keep both antennas linked in for full functionality?

You will no longer need the GP330B if using the SCX20. You could keep the GP330B as a backup source of GPS. You would just need to instance it under the sensor list on your TZT3

Hi Higgs,

Make sure SCX20 is set as the "Current" Data Source
Go to HOME > SETTINGS > INITIAL SETUP then scroll down to DATA ACQUISITION and select DATA SOURCE. Make sure to designate the SCX20 as the primary source of GPS and heading data.

I understand the temptation for owners to replace a GP330B with the newer SCX20, but if the GP330B isn't taking up space or hasn't rolled over yet, I always encourage considering the "belt and suspenders" approach to boating. Generally, I would entertain instancing the GP330B as your 'dedicated' GPS, and dedicating the SCX20 as your primary heading sensor. If, for whatever reason, the GP330B fails the SCX20 will automatically provide position anyway and vice-versa, but we cannot anticipate if/when this will happen. This is why I recommend the SCX20 be added in addition to, rather than replace another GPS sensor IMHO.

- Maggy

I understand the temptation for owners to replace a GP330B with the newer SCX20, but if the GP330B isn't taking up space or hasn't rolled over yet, I always encourage considering the "belt and suspenders" approach to boating. Generally, I would entertain instancing the GP330B as your 'dedicated' GPS, and dedicating the SCX20 as your primary heading sensor. If, for whatever reason, the GP330B fails the SCX20 will automatically provide position anyway and vice-versa, but we cannot anticipate if/when this will happen. This is why I recommend the SCX20 be added in addition to, rather than replace another GPS sensor IMHO.

- Maggy
I only have the SCX20 but just for the brain exercise would running the SCX20 as you suggest still allow pitch correction to the sounder if your dedicated source isn't the SCX20?

If you look at Data Sources in the TZTouch, it's just selecting the sensor you want designated or "dedicated" for that data set. You can set the SCX20 for Position, COG/SOG, heading, and yes also 3-axis it'll do it all. My point in my previous post was that redundancy on a boat isn't a negative.

- Maggy

So I have a GP330B sensor and a SCX20 with TZT2 ,1971,300 AP and 24” NXT radar. I have the scx20 as primary gps and 330 as secondary. I have not changed instance number on anything. Should I? If so what do I change. Ever since I installed the AP I get a alarm yellow banner on top of Tzt2 saying Speed source changed when I turn AP on. Will changing instance number correct this?

So I have a GP330B sensor and a SCX20 with TZT2 ,1971,300 AP and 24” NXT radar. I have the scx20 as primary gps and 330 as secondary. I have not changed instance number on anything. Should I? If so what do I change. Ever since I installed the AP I get a alarm yellow banner on top of Tzt2 saying Speed source changed when I turn AP on. Will changing instance number correct this?
I don't think that will resolve your issue. Typically instance numbers get changed when you have multiples of the same sensor on your NMEA2K network, like fuel level sensors, to be able to identify a particular location for each data source. What is your preferred speed source in your TZT2 display?

Because two devices are using the same instance are putting out the same PGN it is an instance conflict. It definitely can't hurt to resolve by changing the instance of the GP330B.

I have COG / SOG set at preferred SCX20. I don’t see just speed. Johnny I will change instance number of GP330B . I assume to 1 or 2 does it matter?

Back