RD33 replacing RD30 communication issues

archermarinebda

I have just replaced a RD30 unit with a RD33. I followed the instructions with replacing the 30 for a 33 and am now just receiving depth and voltage on the new RD33 display.
The original RD30 was displaying compass and gps data.
There is an original Furuno FAP5002 box installed but in the RD33 instructions there is only information on connecting the RD33 to the newer FI5002.
Is there a different piece of equipment needed to get the RD33 to display all the information from the rest of the system or have I missed a connection somewhere?
Thanks!

Good morning archermarinebda,

Thank you for your inquiry.

The FAP5002 is an autopilot processor unit just so you are aware.

1.) I think we first need to establish a list of equipment on the vessel to figure out what kind of data is available and what format the data is available in. Could you please provide a list of equipment on the vessel.

2.) The RD30 had (2) NMEA0183 ports available to receive data, so it was likely getting a source of depth on one port and position, SOG, COG, TIME, etc. coming into the other port. The RD33 only has (1) NMEA0183 port available to receive data. It sounds like the currently the RD33 receive port is getting depth information from a smart transducer.

3.) I believe once we can figure out all the equipment on the vessel and what kind of data they provide we should be able to come up with a solution to get the most information into the new RD33.

Standing-by,

C-Bass

Thank you for your reply, I have a wedding weekend so very busy and can't reply very fast.

So in the furuno network on this boat there are 2 Marine Radar units RDP-139, 1 Navpilot-500, 1 ETR-6/10N network sounder, the NAVpilot-500/FAP-5002 unit, VHF radio, and the Autopilot fap-5001, and transducer.
There is also a Netgear EN104 ethernet hub for the RDP units.

So I am assuming that when I followed the replacement guide for the RD30 to RD33 I cut into the wire and spliced the RD33 to the transducer and thats where I am getting the depth reading from.
My confusion is do I use the can bus connections to connect this RD33 to the rest of the system or do I need to splice the nmea connection to the rest of the system.
I have pictures of all the connections in this furuno system including a bus bar.

Good morning achermarinebda,

Thank you for your response. Please enjoy the wedding weekend!

The RDP139 units also called NavNet 1 10.4" MFD have a number of ports on the back on the units. Ports 1, 2 have the ability to output NMEA0183 to other devices. Please verify that one of those ports is available to connect to the RD33? If both the RDP139 are networked together then it could be from either unit?

Using the one of the RDP139 units to send data to the RD33 should accomplish what you are after. The RDP139 has both position data and depth data coming into it, we should be able to push that data to the RD33.

Because the RD33 only has 1 NMEA0183 port the data that it receives can only come from one place, essentially the data needs to be multiplexed to incorporate both Depth data from a transducer and also position data from GPS and heading data from the compass. The RDP139 should have all that data coming into it which means that can be the single data source to provide the information to the RD33.

Please look at the back on the RDP139 units and verify if port 1 or port 2 is available for a data connections? Once we can establish that we can go to the next step.

To let you know, I will be taking some time off next week and will likely not be responding to any post.

C-Bass

Hi C-Bass,

Thank you for your help and reply.
So one of the rdp139 units has both 1 and 2 free. The other unit both of those ports are in use.
So I will next Wednesday head back to that boat and try that out.
I appreciate your help.

Good afternoon archermarinebda,

Thank you for confirming.

I would recommend using Data Port 2 which requires a 6-pin data cable.

You will need to connect the TX wires from the RDP139 to the RX wires on the RD33.

Port 2 Wiring:

RDP139 TD2-A (White)-------------------RD33 RD-H (Pin 3) (Yellow)
RDP139 TD2-B (Black)--------------------RD33 RD-C (Pin 4) (Green)

Next you will need to program the RDP139 that is now connected to the RD33 using Port 2.

Power on the RDP139
Press the following keys:
[Menu]
[System Configuration]
[System Setup]
[Port Setup]
[NMEA Port] which is data port 2.

Configure the port as follows:
Furuno GPS Sensor: No
Output Format: NMEA Version 2.0
Lat/Lon Format: Choose the format
Output Destination: No

Then choose [Select Sentence]
Please turn on the following Data Sentences Only:

DBT: On (depth)
GGA: on (position)
MTW: on (water temp)
VTG: on (speed over ground and course over ground)
HDG: on (heading with mag. variation)
ZDA: on (time and date)

Those should be the only sentences turned on.

You may need to tell the RD33 what data sources to look at for the data.
Turn on RD33
Press [Menu] button
select I/O Setup
select Data Sources

Then choose the following for each source of data:
Position, SOG/COG: NMEA0183
Heading: NMEA0183
Depth: NMEA0183
Water Temp: NMEA0183
Time/Date: NMEA0183

That should cover it, you may need to program your display options in order to view all the data. The RD33 manual explains how to setup your data displays.

Kind Regards,
C-Bass

Back