TZTL15F and NAV Pilot 500

New screen

Hello everyone
I have a 2005 Carver with original electronic equipment. Last summer we ordered one new TZTL15F, but our rep says he never received it. We opted for a "Demo Model" from another rep, used for a few years. It ended up to be a 2015 model. It came with the 08.01 version software on it and almost everything seems to run finally.
The only issue that remains is that I can't get the "HEADING" value from my old Autopilot (NAV Pilot 500) to the new display. The Autopilot works.
I was given a data conversion cable (IF-NMEA2K2) to make the connection. These are the colour of wires I have connected (left to right) in TB7 in the old Autopilot processor unit: light-blue/green light-blue/yellow pink pink/black

position 3 and 4 already have wires in it from the VHF unit (FM3000)

When I look in the Data sources list, I see the IF-NMEA2K2, but no numbers are showing up.

On the other hand I'm thinking that it could be a setting somewhere that the rep made because it was used as a DEMO unit.

Can anybody verify the wire connections, as I was given 3 different versions from my rep.
Thank you so much.

I realized that I might have missed some important information.
The mentioned colour wires are probably unique to my connection cable. In the manual that came with the cable there is a conversion table to probably a more generic colour scheme of wires:

light-blue/green blue TD-B
light-blue/yellow white TD-A
pink yellow RD-H
pink/black green RD-C

This is what I connected from left to right.
I hope this helps.
Thanks

Last edited:
TB7 (NMEA 1 IN/OUT) of the NAVpilot 500 has the output on pin 1 (+) and pin 2 (-). Pin 3 (+) and Pin 4 (-) is the input. What is the FM3000 giving the pilot? That connection seems odd because the FM3000 doesn't provide GPS. The pilot isn't a plotter to accept DSC information. Do you know the purpose of this connection? The NMEA out of TB7 can be connected to the IF-NMEA2k2 converter but your wiring isn't clear to me which two wires you are using.

Here is how it should be wired:
TB7 Pin 1 (NMEA + OUT) to IF-NMEA2k2 Light Blue/Yellow (+ input)
TB7 Pin 2 (NMEA - OUT) to IF-NMEA2k2 Light Blue/Green (- input)
(Ensure NMEA port one settings of the pilot are set in the pilot to output heading (HDG) data)

You mentioned Pink and some other colors; that wouldn't be connected if the purpose is only to get heading from the pilot to your 2000 bus. If you plan to drive the pilot from the plotter that is a different story. You would first need to find resolve what you have going on with that FM3000.

Hi Johnny
Thanks for the suggestion. I have switched the 2 wires (Pin 1 and 2) and disconnected the 3 and 4.

Nothing has changed.....

I have checked the output port and it was set to 2, so I changed it to 1. All that did is going into Advanced Auto Mode (underlined), and on the screen, the COG, SOG and DPT are changing a lot more often.

I turned both off and back on, still no HDG.

There must be something in the setting. I have taken a photo of the Data Source and Sensor List pages. Maybe that helps. Hard to see, as we are on the way again today.
Thanks

Attachments

• 20230719_142721.jpg
    20230719_142721.jpg
    951.4 KB · Views: 0
  • 20230719_142854.jpg
    20230719_142854.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 0
I found something else very interesting. When I split the screen to see the plotter plus the fish finder, it is now showing a broken line (COG vector). If I only have the plotter, that line is gone.

Also I looked in my old system, we kept one of the original screens (RD-30) and there is no number for "Bearing" in the navigation screen and also no number when I have the Radar screen open. There is a spot at the top of the screen for the "Heading" number.

I can see the COG (M) in the old system which is the same as on the Auto Pilot and off by 7 to the COG on the new screen.

This all makes sense and my solution is, that my Heading Sensor is kaput and maybe has been broken for a while. I just always used the COG.

It just bugs me that I can't have a heading line. Any solutions?
Thank you very much.

Back