Radar upgrade questions

cltamt

I purchased a DRS4DL 19" dome along with a TZT2 12" back in 2016 for my 24' Albemarle but due to family obligations and unforeseen circumstances I'm just getting around to installing the new equipment. The 24" DRS4DNXT was coming out about the time I purchased the DRS4DL and now it's got me wondering if I should go ahead and upgrade before even installing the 19" dome.

What exactly will the NXT do that the 19" can't? :sorry

Most of my use will be coastal inshore fishing and maneuvering around inlets and the ICW, but I will be running 30 or so miles offshore three or four times per year. I also use the boat on a large southern lake. I did decide to also add a NavPilot 300/PG while the boat is currently being repowered, so would that interface with both radars?

As I understand it, the 19" dome is 4kw and the 24" is 25w. What is the correlation between the 4kw magnetron and the 25w solid state 24"? Which is more powerful and will last longer? Would I be correct assuming the 25 watt doppler offers better target discrimination? So would it better for close-in navigation's around inlets looking for buoys?

How about offshore looking for birds? I'm less concerned with looking for rain since I tend to stay off the water when the weather turns crappy anyway, but if I'm 30 miles offshore it would be nice knowing what's creeping up on me! :capt

As far as range and what you would see on the radar for targets, they would be about the same. The NXT offers "target analyzer" using the Doppler effect that really makes it easy to know what is moving at you or away from you. The DL can't do that. The DL also does not have the ability to do ARPA tracking. With you having heading from the auto pilot; the NXT will allow for fast target tracking.

Thanks for responding JE, I appreciate your time!

Will both work equally as well searching for birds?

No the NXT will be the best at finding birds by a long shot. It has a bird mode along with the ability to use RezBoost to provide better target separation. It will not be easy to find birds long distance with the DRS4DL.

Thank you for the prompt response JE. I think the doppler with target analyzer and ARPA would be of better use to me, so it looks like an upgrade.

Larry

Back