No heading data 711

My system has run perfect for 10 years and now I receive intermittent shutdowns and a "NG" reading on startup and then a notice "No Heading data". I did replace the Heading Sensor but that has not fixed the problem. Again, the system will work intermittently and then shut down to "No heading data"

I would check the connections. Maybe double check that each wire is well seated in the connector. If you're using a NMEA2000 for heading, is it consistent heading or intermittent on other devices? If it's consistent, then check the device source on the pilot to validate the right heading sensor is selected.

- Maggy

Thank you for your reply.
I did notice that when the system goes into "no heading data" is I switch the screen on the control unit to a different configuration the problem goes away.
Could this problem be at the Control unit?
I do have a very qualified person on board but he is having trouble figuring all out. The first thing he did was check all the connections.
Do you happen to know John Berry from Waukegan Illinois.

Have you checked if the required termination plug is on the back of the display unit. It almosts sounds like the control bus it open and not terminated. It will give the strangest problems.

As Johnny mentioned, the terminator plug will cause random issues. I installed a system 2 years ago on one of my boats that had a bad run of terminators in production. Had the exact issue that you were describing and then would go into a "demo" mode on the control head. I believe that there was a test where you could ohm out certain pins to confirm that it was or was not properly operational. The tech support line can probably walk you through that process if you are comfortable with it.

Back