MFD8 not detected on N2K network

geste

Several years ago I bought a NN3D MFD8 (I like buttons over touch screen) and am just getting around to installation alongside a new Icom M506 VHF (with N2K port). I created a basic powered and terminated N2K backbone with MFD8 and Icom attached. I updated MFD8 to version 2.13 and supplied power to MFD8 N2K port through pins 18 and 17 as specified on page 23 of version 3.2 installation guide.

I was not sure if I could expect Icom VHF to display time/position data from MFD8's GPS, but it did not. The Icom only lists "GPS" and "AIS" in list of source devices. Regardless, I could not determine if MFD8 N2K port was actually working so I jumped ahead and added a ShipModul MUX to my N2K Network. The ShipModul seemed like one of the better prospects for integration of some legacy Icom stuff like Raymarine autopilot, but the reason I added it so soon was to help troubleshoot the MFD8.

Using ShipModul softwars and MUX, the Icom M506 is detected instantly, but the MFD8 is not detected at all. I switched N2K drop cables and inspected connector pins, but no joy there.

Any ideas on what steps I might be missing or why MFD8 is not detected? Any other troubleshooting ideas, The DATA2 pinout shows #18 as light green and "NET-C IN (0V)" and #17 as pink and "NET-S IN (+12V IN)". I took the 0V #18 as being GND more or less. Did I misunderstand #18?

Thanks in advance for any clues!

Jim

geste,
thank you for your inquiry.
In reading through your post it occurred to me; it appears that while you may have correctly installed the equipment you make no mention of going into the installation wizard on the MFD8 and correctly configuring the initial setup of the MFD8. The MFD must be set as the DHCP server and then you must set the output PGN's to NMEA2000 network (you'll find this under the OWN tab in the wizard).
By default these MFD will listen/input to any N2K PGN's on the NMEA2000 network but they will not OUTPUT back to the network unless you specifically configure them to. One of the reasons for this is if you were to have (2) MFD's on the NMEA2000 network you would not want them both outputting the same PGN's onto the network.
Try to simply go into the wizard and click on the PGN's (like position, time/date, etc) that you'd like them to output. The instructions are found on page 13 of the installation manual. https://www.furunousa.com/en/support/MFD8

Flatline,

I should have mentioned that I had entered the Wizard and the "Own" tab a number of times but was bit unsure of what to make of Port Monitor output. After setting DHCP/Master, I enabled 7-8 PGNs including system time and position. My boat appears on the MFD screen just where it should be :)

In Port Monitor, I see the MFD listed (sans serial number FWiW) and I see updating data in both the Transmit PGN List and in the Receive PGN List, but the Transmitted PGNs output window is empty. I would not expect that.

So it seems that the MFD8 thinks it is working on some level but shouldn't I see Transmitted PGNs? I should do more to rule out physical layer problems, I guess. Will disconnect all of my small N2K setup and check pins, then try running all of this with the #17/#18 power wires disconnected to see if that changes anything.

Other thoughts?

Thanks, Jim

Like a VHF radio, the unit can't transmit and receive at the same split second; so no you can't hear yourself talk. You can only receive other items on the 2000 bus.

Back