Hard movement with 711c

North

Setup is 711c and 2 Raymarine linear drive 2 Electric. I have a lot of movement in the steering wheel and often very hard correction. It is a 54 f sailboat. What could be the cause for this.

You will want to check your steering system. There should not be "a lot of movement" in the wheel. Whatever the reason for that is likely going to be the reason for the hard corrections as well.
If I am misunderstanding what that meant and your system is "hunting" back and forth. Then you will want to ensure that your heading source is calibrated and properly aligned. Large deviations between heading and course over ground can cause the pilot to hunt.

I have learned that the F711c dies not have dynamic breaking and therefore works best with hydraulic pumps. The linear electric rams are showing this behavior with the 711c. I have been running the autopilot both with a sat compas S20 and the PG 700 compas. Behavior is the same. I have tried it with Raymarine and lewmar drives, same behavior.?

The NAVpilot is best with reversible pumps and motors. It also works well with solenoids and many drive by wire systems. It all depends on the drive system. For sailboats whitlock drives and most linear actuators work very well. There are electric systems that connect like a solenoid but are very herky/jerky because as you state, the NAVpilot as designed doesn't support dynamic braking. If you have a drive system that they recommend dynamic braking, this pilot isn't for you. It is a great fit for many steering systems but there are some like the Jaffa/Mamba that it just isn't designed for.

Back