Furuno Navpilot 711c Steering an Electro-Mechanical Linear Drive Unit?

Yeti

I'd like to forego the use of a hydraulic drive unit for an electro-mechanical drive, however maintaining compatibility with the rest of my Furuno electronics. In a search, Johnny Electron noted HERE some issues with doing something like this, but also noted "...most linear actuators work very well." The linear drive unit I'm considering is Garmin's Class A unit. Thoughts?

Oh, and BTW, love the new XenForo bulletin board format.

Hey Johnny.

Garmin's Class A linear drive unit is electric. We're doing long distance passage making and my desire is to keep the amperage draw to a minimum, which is typically the case in my experience when comparing electro-mechanical units to hydraulics. Garmin's Class A unit draws only 1-2 amps on average, where as most hydraulic units draw 4-6, and sometimes even more.

I will ask our product development engineer and get back to you. I don't have any experience running that actuator.

I will ask our product development engineer and get back to you. I don't have any experience running that actuator.
For prosperity sake, I did a bit more research on this, and I think I may have an answer.

Garmin's Class A Drive Unit is a rebranded Jefa LD100. If you scroll down this Jefa page, they list their compatibility with the various "mainstream" autopilot systems (Garmin, Navico brands, Raymarine, etc.). But when it comes to Furuno, they state "Not advisable due to lack in speed control and dynamic braking."

I guess this answers our question.

Back