GP1971F w/ TM185HW settings

jeremytelfer

I've just purchased a GP1971F with TM185HW and a FCV-588 with TM260 for our new boat. The FCV588 with TM260 performs flawlessly with an extremely clear picture even at 42 knots however I'm having a lot of trouble with the GP1971F and TM185HW.

I'm still getting an unbroken bottom reading all the way through the rev range with the TM185HW however the picture is extremely cluttered and the bottom reading definitely isn't as clear or crisp as the 588 w/TM260. It also doesn't show up fish as well as the 588 and TM260. Does anyone have any feedback on what settings I should be using to see the best results with the GP1971F and TM185HW?

There is no option to select to TM185HW in the transducer selection menu of the GP1971F so I have just selected the B175HW which is the closest transducer to it and I haven't touched any of the other settings except trying to play with the gain which hasn't helped much. Is there an update that I need to do which would include the TM185HW?

Good morning Jeremytelfer,

Thank you for your inquiry.

I believer we can try a couple of things to help figure out what is going on. However, based on your report I am afraid that the TM185 is having some turbulence issues, if that is the case there really isn't any settings that can be changed to improve the performance. A broken bottom means the most basic function and easiest for the sounder to show is having difficulty.

You mentioned the FCV588 is performing quite nicely with the TM260. On your next trip or sea trial I would like you to test the TM260 transducer on the GP1971F. They are compatible, you will just have to reprogram the GP1971F to use that transducer. When you program the GP1971F for the TM260, it may not be in the list. I don't have a unit to verify, if that is the case, please program the GP1971F to use 526TID-HDD when connecting the TM260 to the 1971F.

This test should tell us if the TM185hw is having turbulence issues.

Also, can you please provide a couple of photos of the installation of both transducers? If TM185HW if having turbulence issues we need to try and figure out a way to either re-mount that transducer to get better water flow.

Also I don't believe there is a TM185HW transducer model when programming. You were correct to use the B175HW.

C-Bass

Hi C-Bass,

Thank you for your quick response. I think you miss-read my initial post though.

The issue is not turbulence because my bottom reading is not broken. Even at 40knots my bottom reading is clear. The issue seems to be interference and clutter on the screen. It’s as if the gain was turned up extremely high (but it’s not).

So I was trying to work out what the best settings would be for eliminating that clutter/interference.

Kind regards,
Jeremy

Yes, I see. I apologize, not enough coffee! I see you said unbroken bottom.

Can you please post some photos of the interference and some photos of your sounder settings?

One other questions.

If the FCV588 is turned off, do you still see the noise/interference on the GP1971F?

Another thing to try would be to turn the GP1971F off, unplug the transducer, turn the system back on, go to the fish finder, crank up the gain and see if you still see the interference/noise. We need to try and figure out where the noise is coming from, is it coming through the electrical system or is it coming through the transducer/transducer wire.

C-Bass

Hi C-Bass,

I've played around with it a bit now and when the TM260 transducer on the 588 is disconnected I get a perfect reading on the GP1971F using the TM185HW. Also when the TM185HW is disconnected from the GP1971F I then get a perfect reading on the FCV588 using the TM260.

So the interference/noise seems to be caused by both transducers operating at the same time. What is the best way to resolve this?

I'll be using it again on saturday so I can test any settings then.

Kind regards,
Jeremy

The best way to resolve would be to just run one unit at a time. However, they both have interference rejection filters. I would start out using low, if that does not clear them up you could try medium, then high. I am not a big fan of using "auto" for the interference rejection filter.

You could also try slowing down the TX rate on one of the sounders.

C-Bass

Hi C-Bass,

I currently have interference set to high on the GP1971F and it doesn't seem to have made any difference. The sounder screen still has verticle interference lines all over it.

I'm not sure what you mean by slowing down the TX rate, how do you do that?

Cheers,
Jeremy

Back